A conifer pruning question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsnowdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have roughly 6,000 trees in a reforestation project that is, other than thinning and fixing forked leaders as I can, left to develop in a natural state. I have some white pines and spruces along certain lanes and drives into this project. No surprise, they are beginning to encroach upon the drives. In some instances I can thin back with no concern, but I have a few places where I would like to keep as much green as I can, and still keep a path open. I also have one end of this project coming up to my house.

I have minimal knowledge of Christmas tree shearing technique, but am currently thinking that strategy is not really what would be best. Maybe someone is about to disagree.

Seeking some direction. I understand I can't cut inside of the needled part of the branches, but can I hold a diameter permanently if I just keep pruning in the green part of the needled part of the branches? Poor wording. Can I keep white pines and spruces along a critical line from moving past that line?

I don't care for the instances I see where people simply prune all branches off a conifer up to some height. That is not a natural tree look.

I have not been concerned with such things in reforestation before and so feel pretty ignorant about this.

Thank you.

yes white pines can be held stationary by clipping off the new growth aka "candles" every year...IF other branches do not shade it out. to keep green at the bottom you may have to thin/reduce upper branches to allow light in.

Long term with some trees this can be very hi mtc or even disfiguring if not done right so you may have to give up on the lower branches and plant shrubs in those bare areas

yes white pines can be held stationary by clipping off the new growth aka "candles" every year...IF other branches do not shade it out. to keep green at the bottom you may have to thin/reduce upper branches to allow light in.

Long term with some trees this can be very hi mtc or even disfiguring if not done right so you may have to give up on the lower branches and plant shrubs in those bare areas

By clipping off the candles, you mean completely?

pine tree

If you take the candle off completely you are taking off the growing point of the branch. Where ever you cut the candle the tree will set buds for next year. if you cut back the candles you will make the plant more dense. If you cut the candles to late in the season you will be taking off the bug of the branch. And since most pines lose their needles every three years the branch will be devoid of needles which is not good..

If you take the candle off completely you are taking off the growing point of the branch. Where ever you cut the candle the tree will set buds for next year. if you cut back the candles you will make the plant more dense. If you cut the candles to late in the season you will be taking off the bug of the branch. And since most pines lose their needles every three years the branch will be devoid of needles which is not good..

So, take off 3/4 of the candle? Or is that too much?

I don't know what you mean by the bug of the branch.

When is the right time to do this?

pruning

In my part of the world the candles come out of the pine in May The buds are at the end of the branches.

Now with spruce the buds are located up and down the stem of the small branches along with being at the end of the branches-big difference between pine and spruce. Lots of spots on web for a show and tell. Just type in pruning pine or spruce

Latest posts

Back