A different way to sharpen your chain.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mile9socounty

Two-Stroke Swope
Reaction score
Do you ever get sick and tired of a dull chain out in the woods? Don't want to pack around a stump vice. Packing multiple chains? Sitting on the cold wet soggy ground just to sharpen your chain? Well a friend of my lead me to a new trick. Some of ya'll might have seen this or already do this. But I found it pretty cool. It's a pretty simple get up.

1st off you will need a stump that's about chest high. Or whatever will suit your height. Like such.

p_00095-1.jpg

2nd you will need to make two cuts. Side by side. Equal to the width of your bar and chain put together.

p_00096-1.jpg

3rd. Your saw. My work saw happens to be a MS361 with a full wrap.

p_00097-1.jpg

4th. Your scrench, bar tool, multi-function/multi purpose/high speed low drag tool.

p_00098-1.jpg

Continued.

Have you tried driving a wedge in the second cut to bind the bar too? Just curious?

Neat idea. :cheers:

No I have not tried using a wedge. The theory would work out pretty well. But you don't want to bind up the chain. I know the scrench only puts enough pressure on the bar to hold it in place. Plus to let the chain free spin. I will have to give the wedge a try tomorrow.

Your missing some cutters bud! :)

Only one cutter. Where the chain was bound together.

Be sure and cut the high stump after you are done....:)

Very true Slowp. That is the last step. If I leave high stumps. I get yelled out. They are out of the specs. I really like sharpening my saw like this. Saves my boney butt from sitting in the mud.

No I have not tried using a wedge. The theory would work out pretty well. But you don't want to bind up the chain. I know the scrench only puts enough pressure on the bar to hold it in place. Plus to let the chain free spin. I will have to give the wedge a try tomorrow.

A slight dovetail in the cut would help keep the chain free as well. I'm going to try it tomorrow too. :clap:

Nice post and good pics! I like that idea, going to try it if I'm in a good spot for it next time Im out.

Reppa to ya:chainsaw:
Bill

Only one cutter. Where the chain was bound together.

Very true Slowp. That is the last step. If I leave high stumps. I get yelled out. They are out of the specs. I really like sharpening my saw like this. Saves my boney butt from sitting in the mud.

Good idea and good post. +1 for the pics. Rep you for this when it lets me.
(I'll be back):greenchainsaw:

very creative, but I would rather let gravity hold my saw in place. I can see it now, filing away, tired, turn your head to look at somthing, turn your head back, and whamo, a bar tip has just made a cutter shaped dent into your dome...

Who the heck actually uses a stump vice anyway haha?

I've seen that done before somewhere but they used a wedge to hold the bar in place. But yeah 056, I've never used a stump vice and not sure I would ever use one even if I owned one ;)

I would like to have a stump vise. When I'm at the shop I put the bar in a vise to sharpen my chain. I ussually just cary some extra chains. that's wuicker than sharpening. Plus it give me some beer drinking time in the garage when I get done cutting

I bet the tree huggers won't like that idea.

Have to cut a tree down for every chain sharpening, LOL.

Thats a different idea for sure. I just sit on the log of the last tree I cut down, but still a decent option.

Thanks,

Sam

I bet the tree huggers won't like that idea.

Have to cut a tree down for every chain sharpening, LOL.

Thats a different idea for sure. I just sit on the log of the last tree I cut down, but still a decent option.

Thanks,

Sam

Actually I use the trees that are within my specs for the vice. Right now our specs are up to 14"DBH. So I'm pretty well covered. Spacing for pines is 22'x22', Firs, Cedars and dominant hardwoods is 18'x18'. So everything else has to go.

Who the heck actually uses a stump vice anyway haha?

I do, especially when cutting metal-contaminated timber where I've gotta sharpen every few minutes. Gives a bit of extra leverage. Only weighs a few ounces. Why WOULDN'T you use one? You can only carry so many extra chains with you.

Latest posts

Back