A Few Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl051master

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am trying to post a few pictures using Windthrown's trick, so I hope they show up. This is what happens to your really nice woods after a tornado hits it..... This WAS a nice tall stand of popple and birch in this section that was open enough to see a good 100yds through in any direction....

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70072&stc=1&d=1209437628

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70073&stc=1&d=1209437732

Every tree that was over about 40ft. tall or 10" round was either uprooted or broken off.

"img"http://www.arboristsite.com/attachme...1&d=1209437628"/img"

"img"http://www.arboristsite.com/attachme...1&d=1209437732"/img"

attachme...1&d=1209437628

attachme...1&d=1209437732

Sorry about all the consecutive posts, just trying to get a pic to "pop up" automatically....

Nothing to do about it now but the responsible thing and get the wood off the ground and make use of it. See if there is any gub'mint or insurance money that would allow you to plant some small trees?

ahh yes...ive got the privilege to cut a fair bit of tornadoe timber...always more excited..twisted trees, tops busted out, blowovers with alot of tension of them, tops busted out and hung up in other trees, alot of widow makers...gotta be careful cutting that stuff:cheers:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Success! Thanks for the help guys! In response to previous posts, no insurance/govt. $$ is available to me, so I am just working away cutting up this disaster area for firewood and for some saw logs.I don't want any of the wood to go to waste. There is just an unbelievable amount of wood down. I'm hoping to sell a lot of firewood for next year. SiLogger is right too, cutting in this stuff makes it a lot more exciting. BTW the MS270 has been more than earning its keep. I hope to sell enough wood to get something bigger (maybe a 361) and then really go to town.

Ive also logged some tornado damaged timbers. Theres nothing like cuting a big tree with the whole top dangling over your head. my advice would be just be carfull and dont get in a hurry. There is alot of pressure in some of those trees thats not nomaly there when cutting. good luck

Last edited:
It's difficult cutting for sure. This portion of the woods is the small stuff. There are some big old maples and ash in the other parts of the woods. The whole 40 acres except for a small portion in the front was pretty much leveled, with trees lying everywhere. On the day after we cut and hauled out 28 face cords of wood just to re-clear one small loop of our trail! a few really GOOD friends and a GOOD dad made that possible!

tornado timber

Be sure and WATCH when your cutting that stuff. Of course you're cutting it into firewood....it's a little different logging it. It keeps you alert 100% of the time. Almost every tree has 10 different kinds of pressure on it. I was helping log a tornado damaged stand, I had a little 8" red maple barber chair in my face...I was lucky I could move fast enough or it would have ripped my face off. It had a 20" cherry on top of it which was leaning in another 12" red maple and was hung up. You see those guy's in axmen cutting that wind blown stand? They aren't cutting like the tree is about to explode in their face for nothing.....it happens....and quick when it does.....:greenchainsaw: :cheers: :givebeer:

Last edited:
You're not kidding there! I always try to be as safe and careful as possible whenever I'm running a saw, but even more so in this stuff. There are just soem unbelieveable clusters of intertwined trees, literally leaning 10 ways against each other. It's like a physics lesson every time I go back. You have to plan out where each is going, what's going to happen with the others, and most importantly where to get the h*** out of the way if you miscalculate something. Definately have to be on your toes 100% of the time. I can get some more pics of the carnage if any of you would like to see...

I'd like to see more....

You're not kidding there! I always try to be as safe and careful as possible whenever I'm running a saw, but even more so in this stuff. There are just soem unbelieveable clusters of intertwined trees, literally leaning 10 ways against each other. It's like a physics lesson every time I go back. You have to plan out where each is going, what's going to happen with the others, and most importantly where to get the h*** out of the way if you miscalculate something. Definately have to be on your toes 100% of the time. I can get some more pics of the carnage if any of you would like to see...

I'd like to see more pics....definetly. If you are logging it you are dealing with long logs that when cut release a whole bunch of tension all at once. They also will do things you never thaught possible.....twist turn....pinch..buckle....spring up...sometimes all at once...lol:greenchainsaw: :cheers: :givebeer:

Back