A good day o' woodboogerin' in NH

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
Reaction score
Finally have a camera and can provide visual proof that I live up to my woodboogerin' username.

The back story:

Friday, a tree service was dropping smallish (4-15") birches and a few red maples along route 11 near Alton Bay. The guys running the chipper said to come by after 5pm and help myself. :clap:

Shortly after sidling up to the curb early Friday eve, another Ranger pulls up behind me - then scoots up maybe a tenth of a mile up the road and starts to load up up there. Then, like 30 seconds later, another guy. To a man, we were all sans saws and it was nearing twilight. So we all loaded 4' lengths what we could hump up the grade onto our truck beds.

Next morning I went back and the guy in the Ranger was already there. However, his productivity was slowed when this happened:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

He had to have his wife come pick him up. He was gone for a while and returned with shovels. He eventually shoveled himself out and declined my offer to help. A cop stopped too and offered help.

Sine mine is RWD, I didn't even attempt to get closer to the work and got in some real good excersize. :) The Ranger's my woodboogamobile. The minivan also pictured was just a driveby.

attachment.php

A few of the larger rounds. Most all of what I brought home was birch in the 4"-12" range. These rounds here certainly look a lot smaller here than when I was lugging them up to the truck. And I thought the camera was supposed to add 10lbs. :dizzy:
attachment.php

Here's the second of four loads. Deceptive in terms of species. A fair amount of maple is shown here. All of the other loads were almost 100% birch.
attachment.php

Gotta love woodboogerin when it's 50°, blue sky, and a foot of snow on the ground. Wore just a flannel over a button up, mostly on account of the wind. The snow sure makes the bucking easier.

What model Stihl is that in the picture???

That'd be the 660. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's my little 210, which was plenty for what I was cutting. I think the biggest maple I was into was maybe 20-22".

My brother's got the 260 to do some falling at his camp. In excahange for my graciousness, he's going to deliver a truckload of beech and red oak.

:cheers: to some free wood.

LOL. It's all gone. Had to have been 6 cords there when the crew killed the power on the chipper. Now all that remains are dozens of little piles of saw chips 18" from eachother.

Oh, and a sizeable furrow in the snow from where that guy got his Ranger stuck :laugh:

Looks like a nice haul. Just be careful about over loading you truck.
I have a Ranger also, and I had to replace both leaf springs because they cracked.:(

Yeah. There gets to be a point when free wood ceases to be free.

I take it much easier on her now that she's approaching the decade mark. I was only 3 miles from home, so I piled on a bit more that I have been. The other woodboogers there were good folks, but there was a bit of good-natured competition, to be sure!

Last edited:
Something about scavenged wood makes it heat better :)

My normal pallet source was empty...but I snagged two at the town dump yesterday, and saw one out of the corner of my eye on the debris pile at the fairgrounds on my way by...had to swing around and get that.

Good snag!!!:cheers:

It cracks me up that so many folks showed up at the same time to pick over the tree's!! LOL!!

I can see woodboogerin' going mainstream as a contact sport up your way!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

P.S.
Thanks Guys! ;)

Last edited:
Oh, and a sizeable furrow in the snow from where that guy got his Ranger stuck :laugh:

The other woodboogers there were good folks, but there was a bit of good-natured competition, to be sure!

You mean like who has the biggest.......ummm....saw?

Oh, and maybe next time the other guy with the ranger will remember his tire chains.

Thanks for the pics. woodbooga I enjoyed them.

mass

iam just over the nh border in mass. i ever get alot of cuttin look me up. i just like to saw and split wood for fun. gets me out of the house. looks like a good day work this weekend was perfect for saws but i opted for the gun range

Good snag!!!:cheers:

It cracks me up that so many folks showed up at the same time to pick over the tree's!! LOL!!

I can see woodboogerin' going mainstream as a contact sport up your way!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

P.S.
Thanks Guys! ;)

:laugh: One of the guys asked me if it was ok if he gathered there too. He had to have 5" and 80lbs on me. No full contact firewooding for me. No sir. Just told him it was every bit his as mine.

My brother lives in the southern tier in the Boston metro area. He's seen soccer moms get into shouting matches over whose Suburban the wood's gonna get loaded into. While not my scene as a participant, a firewood-induced catfight between a couple of hot mommas in all their calipigian glory would make for some interesting viewing. I wonder if we could convince the mods to upload something like that onto AS TV. :):popcorn:

Something about scavenged wood makes it heat better :)

My normal pallet source was empty...but I snagged two at the town dump yesterday, and saw one out of the corner of my eye on the debris pile at the fairgrounds on my way by...had to swing around and get that.

I love the town dump's brush pile. I always make a point to have a little wood waste when I go to the dump just to have the pretext so I can drive on over. I personally take it as defeat if I don't come home from the dump with something. I've even gotten a classic Homelite from the scrap pile.

My FIL sold just short of 100 trees off of his farm 6 years ago...For the first year it looked like a circus around the farm w/ people loading out wood...He was a county cop for 30 yrs and new everybody, so he gave alot of people the okay...He asked me if I wanted it all and I said hell yes, but knew there was no way, w/ the time I have available to get it all...

Be careful picking up roadside wood in New Hampshire, as the wood is the property of the abutting landowner. After the New Hampshire Tornado people were taking roadside trees, causing a news release. To be legal when taking, you are to have permission from the abutting property owner, regardless how it fell.:jawdrop:

Below is copied from the link below!

"Trees in and above the rights of way of highways have a special place under our law, involving the interests of three parties: the abutting property owner, the municipality and the public utility whose poles and lines occupy the right of way. The ownership of a tree depends upon who owns the land where it is rooted, because the tree is a product of that soil. In the vast majority of cases the abutting owner owns the trees because the highway is a transportation easement on land owned by abutters. Bigelow v. Whitcomb, 72 N.H. 473 (1904)."

http://www.nhmunicipal.org/LGCWebSite/InfoForOfficials/townandcityarticles.asp?TCArticleID=141

Long story short is; in a bad situation you could be charged with theft!

Be careful picking up roadside wood in New Hampshire, as the wood is the property of the abutting landowner. After the New Hampshire Tornado people were taking roadside trees, causing a news release. To be legal when taking, you are to have permission from the abutting property owner, regardless how it fell.:jawdrop:

Below is copied from the link below!

"Trees in and above the rights of way of highways have a special place under our law, involving the interests of three parties: the abutting property owner, the municipality and the public utility whose poles and lines occupy the right of way. The ownership of a tree depends upon who owns the land where it is rooted, because the tree is a product of that soil. In the vast majority of cases the abutting owner owns the trees because the highway is a transportation easement on land owned by abutters. Bigelow v. Whitcomb, 72 N.H. 473 (1904)."

http://www.nhmunicipal.org/LGCWebSite/InfoForOfficials/townandcityarticles.asp?TCArticleID=141

Long story short is; in a bad situation you could be charged with theft!

Good post, bole. I always seek permission. Partially to avoid getting nabbed. But moreover, because it's the right thing to do.

There've been many instances where I've knocked on a door and the property owner's told me that he'd already promised the wood to a friend or relative. It'd be a real skunky thing to do, taking what's already been spoken for. And needless in the second most forested state in the Union.:cheers:

hmm

I've been driving past that skidder all last week and also today that would be Monday and did not think there was any wood around there to be picked up. that is right by Johnson's.You got to be careful because it is the landowners wood.I would also hate to see it go to wast sitting there and rotting I'm glad somebody gets to put it to good use.plus none taxed heat is awesome.I hate nothing more than paying taxes on heating my house.:cheers:

Back