A good start on Winter 2010-2011

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boda65

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Had a good day. A coworker had to take down a couple trees for an older couple he sort of watches over. He had no use for the wood and didn't really know anything about cutting down trees. So it was a win-win, he got some much needed help and I got some primo firewood. A pretty good size ash and a medium size mulberry. After crops are out of the fields, I've got a hickory and two catulpas to get. I know catulpa isn't the best, but its free and it burns. I'm pretty wound up, this is the first year heating w/wood since '96. We just put in a new zero clearance fireplace and I'm looking forward to winter for the first time in many many years. I've been very fortunate to get plenty of wood just by word of mouth and a lot of elbow grease. I've lost about 10 lbs this year just from the work.
aerialview.jpg

sideview.jpg

overflow.jpg

Getting free firewood never gets old. I scrounged about 150 pounds worth of discarded maple and walnut.
No matter what quantity, a sucessful scrounging mission brings a grin to my haggard, alchoholic face every time.

Nice!!!

Good looking load there and a great looking Mac as well.
Should provide some good heat for you next year!

Al:cheers:

My 2010-11 Maple deck is growing with the help of my new maple cleanup crew.

My new steers come running when they hear the chainsaw. They are hard workers...

I have @ 5 cords of fir on decks and @ three cords of ponderosa pine marked for cutting.

I have a stack of fir limbs (50+ years old) to hack up on my neighbor's property. Tight grain (and straight too).

All I have left to mark for cutting is the cherry.

Mmmmm. Hamburgers by the fire.

Exactly; renuawable ranching, they fertilize the soil and eat the maple, I cut the maple to buy toys and stay warm, I sell one steer that almost pays for everything, I get a full freezer, and the maples are hard to kill...cut one and fifty sprout. Never ending cycle.

Exactly; renuawable ranching, they fertilize the soil and eat the maple, I cut the maple to buy toys and stay warm, I sell one steer that almost pays for everything, I get a full freezer, and the maples are hard to kill...cut one and fifty sprout. Never ending cycle.

Sounds like a good setup. I burn around 70 percent silver maple. Grows like crazy around here. I like burning it-no complaints.

Latest posts

Back