A little confused

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moisture in and of itself will not necessarily cause wood to rot. If this was the case, there would not be any submerged logs, the remains of any shipwrecks underwater or wooden houses left standing.

While moisture is a contributing factor, there are others as well. Think about a towel, you can use it multiple times if you hang it up properly and let it dry. Use it once and ball it up on the floor and see what happens. Sunlight, wind, eliminating ground contact and proper air circulation will go a long way towards preventing your wood from rotting.

Last edited:
Moisture in and of itself will not necessarily cause wood to rot.

While that is true, rot cannot take place without it. Moisture allows fungi or micro-organisms to live and feed off the cellulose resulting in what is commonly called "rot". A wet or damp environment with little air flow is ideal for rot.

Sunlight, wind, eliminating ground contact and proper air circulation will go a long way towards preventing your wood from rotting.

Yup.

While that is true, rot cannot take place without it. Moisture allows fungi or micro-organisms to live and feed off the cellulose resulting in what is commonly called "rot". A wet or damp environment with little air flow is ideal for rot.

Yup.

I keep my wood pile in good shape I was just wondering how dead fall and dead standing trees like willow end up going soft and crumbling. Thnx for the good info guys.:cheers:

... I was just wondering how dead fall and dead standing trees like willow end up going soft and crumbling.

If you examine them you will see how water or moisture got into them. Lying on the moist ground, through a wound or damage that did not close even the crotch of codominent trunks. Don't forget also insect damage from termites or carpenter ants and even wood peckers. Though not rot, they can cause serious damage which can lead to rot.

Latest posts

Back