A little trick to try for the saw that won't idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VINIFIREWOOD

I only no what I know
Reaction score
So givin the recent DRASTIC change in weather here in the upper midwest, the tree business has come to a stand still. That means time to catch up on a few projects.
So today it started with a Stihl 021. This saw belongs to my local fire dept that I am an active member.
This saw doesn't see much action other than getting started once a month to make sure it runs. So givin the fact it's a smaller saw and sits a lot, the carb gets gummed up easy and the first sign is that it doesn't want to idle on its own. You have to keep playing with the throttle to keep it running. Personal experience has taught me to first try this.
Turn the "L" screw all the way in till it stops. Make sure its seated without being aggressive. Then back it out to factory spec, gives you somewhere to start. Next do the same with the "H" screw.
A fresh tank of gas, tach, and screw driver in hand we head out to the wood pile. After a full tank of gas and a couple very minor adjustments on the carb she is running like a champ.
I first tried this on my 024 a few years back and with that saw too if it sits for any period of time the first thing to act up is the idle. Turn the L screw in till seated and back out and same with the H and she's ready to go.

That would be called adjusting it till she idles right. just sayin.

Close but not quite.
I guess I forgot to add that I tried adjusting prior to this and to no avail until the Idle screw was turned all the way in till seated then backed out.
It acts like the low speed opening is clogged right where the needle or "screw" seats in the jet or opening. By turning the screw or needle all the way in till seated it seams to "disslodge" if you will, the gunk that is causing the problem.
When I initially turn the mixture screw in I count the turns and return it to where it was when I started which is usually close to or at factory spec.

They need to start running MotoMix or Trufuel l at the fire house. No ethanol, two year shelf life after opening, and no chance for non start at a most dire time. Should look into it.
Mark

I've done as you said on the all the way in and back to spec, I think that you might be right in the fact that if there is crud in the system, it will be in the seat of the jet.

Yeah, I think you hit it on the head. Turning the screws all the way in forces the crud out of the jet so it's clear again. Too bad you can't convince them to dump the fuel and run her dry. Wouldn't have this problem then.
I like your solution, though!

Latest posts

Back