A little Wheel Horse and a Little Sthil will....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm382

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
lead the way!

finaly...
who needs big fancy saws?
who needs big fancy equipment?

I DO THATS WHO!!!:biggrinbounce2:

Finaly, finaly got the big log off or almost off the trailer...now to get the last two remaining ones off. and go get another load.......:D

DSC04242small.jpg

Looks like a monkey

trying to hump a football.. LOL It would almost be worth the price of admission to come watch you cut firewood.

Hats off to ya !!! If there is a will, there is a way!! Keep up the hard work, and be safe!

trying to hump a football.. LOL It would almost be worth the price of admission to come watch you cut firewood.
you funny funny man.........

i have been dry for 14yrs next month, but the wife always has some beer in the fridge, just becareful if you come by the baby girl might put you to work :D

So I take it you got that axel problem taken care of?
Penny saved, penny earned:cheers:
Nope, it's still setting out in the back yard, that was my other wheel horse, that i used to use for mowing the yard. this one here, is one tough old horse, i won't say the back end came off the ground because that would mean i was abuseing her, and i would NEVER do that :D:D:D..........

now to clean up the neighbors JD after mowing our yard and take it back then fill up the sthil and tackle the other two chunks, up on the front of the trailer. cept i need to move the trailer and the wife is at the store, bummer, i need to fix the brakes on my truck :D

I have a Wheelhorse just like yours. Put a set of tire chains on it and it will go just about anywhere and will pull just about anything.
I pulled 1 1/2 cords of wet wood up a fairly steep woods hill. The wood was in a 6x10 trailer. Dont know what the tounge weight was ,but most of the wood was in the front of the trailer and it was heavy. The front tires never touched the ground until I got to the top of the hill. Gods honest truth!!

I have a Wheelhorse just like yours. Put a set of tire chains on it and it will go just about anywhere and will pull just about anything.
I pulled 1 1/2 cords of wet wood up a fairly steep woods hill. The wood was in a 6x10 trailer. Dont know what the tounge weight was ,but most of the wood was in the front of the trailer and it was heavy. The front tires never touched the ground until I got to the top of the hill. Gods honest truth!!
yes, she do pull most times, i do have chains that are normlay on year round but i had to make a few runs over to the neighbors down the road, and they is bummmmppppyyyyyy going down road. i also added weight lifting weights in the wheels about 68lbs which made a BIG differacne.
problem is when i overload the trailer and it is wet out, she won't pull up to the house, so i have to get bigger trailer. can't even back the truck down to the wood pile if there is too much snow.....:(
hence why we keep 4 rick...........er sorry 2 cord outside the garage and another 1/2 cord inside garage...
i got caught low on wood and hit with 10" of snow......that is a long long long long way to shovel a path to hand carry wood up to the house.:lifter:

Wheel weights make that much difference? Will have to give that a try.

How well does the front blade handle clearing snow to the woodpile?

Here's a pic of my HorseMar....:D

This one doesn't get used much for hauling wood. An occasional small load. Use this Horse mostly for trim mowing around the house and property. Works great for that, with the rear discharge deck. Wouldn't trade it for 2 new MTD mowers and she's almost 30 years old.....1979

I usually just use my Yanmar compact diesel 4x4 tractor for hauling the wood and mowing the main stuff. Gets it done a lot quicker with 60" deck....:)

horsemar.jpg

Wheel weights make that much difference? Will have to give that a try.How well does the front blade handle clearing snow to the woodpile?
yes yes they do, i made my own set that allows me to add more if needed...just need some more weights an a longer peice of 1"thread pipe.....
she pushes snow GREAT in the driveways going down hill for at least one opening path, i was able to get up the second driveway a slight incline with 6" but took some doing. once up i can push down no problem.
but to the wood pile there is no way... it's all down hill. i tired with the truck but only got path opened to to the crest after that it's shovel all the way...
need 4x4 tractor and FEL and i will be able to get out there.

Those are some fine looking rounds, nice work!
thanks, that load was Blood, Sweat, and Tears.....tears from my baby girl when she could not help. :D

Here's a pic of my HorseMar....:D

This one doesn't get used much for hauling wood. An occasional small load. Use this Horse mostly for trim mowing around the house and property. Works great for that, with the rear discharge deck. Wouldn't trade it for 2 new MTD mowers and she's almost 30 years old.....1979

I usually just use my Yanmar compact diesel 4x4 tractor for hauling the wood and mowing the main stuff. Gets it done a lot quicker with 60" deck....:)
Nice. and nice Horse in the back ground, i have one of those tooo...
I will be keeping the B-80 gear drive, she is builitproof sorta.
and the wife makes short work of yard work with it, although now she wants a golf cart so she can run up and down the road to the neighbors, since they give us FULL anytime use of the inground pool :D.
the plan is a small U-tractor to take some of the load off of the WH, but i will still need wieghts and chains once the snow hits. but then maybe not?
the B-80 had a 36" rear discharge that i made into a mulching deck that was GREAT for fall with all the leaves we get. but it rotted away and the C-160 48" cuts or cut the yard much easier untill.....
DSC04097small.jpg

oh and the B-80 does driveways great! 'cept i wore out something on the lift handle and now the whole thing slides out all the time, need to take all apart and figure that one out.
wish i woud have put the blade on the hydro one with lift would have saved my back.......
pullled it out more then once trying to lift the blade with a load on it.....DOH!!!

DSC03680small.jpg

DSC03700small.jpg

she does NOT like pushing snow up this... and i have to keep her in the garage in the winter which is in the other driveway, but the wife parks her 4x4 over here so it's not a big deal. but it can be done.....
the rise was worse then this but after a few days of shoving i got it a LOT better........

DSC03677small.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. and nice Horse in the back ground, i have one of those tooo...

the B-80 had a 36" rear discharge that i made into a mulching deck that was GREAT for fall with all the leaves we get.

Yep, that's an old Troy Bilt Tiller "Horse". Use that to go between the rows in the garden and than have a 48" tiller for the back of the Yanmar, that takes care of business in the spring and fall. :)

You mind sharing how you turned that 36" rear discharge into a mulching deck?......I have, in the past, ran backwards for mulching leaves but that's no fun! :dizzy:

Yep, that's an old Troy Bilt Tiller "Horse". Use that to go between the rows in the garden and than have a 48" tiller for the back of the Yanmar, that takes care of business in the spring and fall. :)

You mind sharing how you turned that 36" rear discharge into a mulching deck?......I have, in the past, ran backwards for mulching leaves but that's no fun! :dizzy:

How do you like your Yanmar tractor? I have been considering one, the local dealer has got a 25hp with a loader for 7K new, but I have heard conflicting stories about the Yanmar. Some say its a great tractor, some have had some really bad luck. how about yours? The most common complaint that I have heard is that they are impossible to start when its really cold out.

you mean like this? :D
DSC00585small.jpg

yes, yes, spring and fall takes me LONG time to do up the garden (1600sqft) so i am hoping to get the U-Tractor in the srping with a tiller attach to save me some time..

tillergarden.jpg

that is exactly how i used to do my leaves :hmm3grin2orange:

then i got to thinking and i simply added peice of angle iron with another piece of metal bolted to that for adjustement to the rear of the deck so the grass/leaves had no place to go, they say you CAN't make a mulcher out of a non-mulching deck just by installing mulching blades, but mine worked pretty well and i kept the block off on for the next two summers until the deck rotted away and i switchd to the broken WH you see here.....:(
it seemed to work well at re-cutting the grass...poor man's mulch deck...
i do miss that rear discharge, kept grass out of the wifes flower beds......

Last edited:
Looks like the mice got your seat. Either that, or you have been eatin too much chilli.

How do you like your Yanmar tractor? I have been considering one, the local dealer has got a 25hp with a loader for 7K new, but I have heard conflicting stories about the Yanmar. Some say its a great tractor, some have had some really bad luck. how about yours? The most common complaint that I have heard is that they are impossible to start when its really cold out.

Huh....Didn't know you could buy them new, other than the new Cub Cadet/Yanmar deal. Mine is a "gray market" tractor from Japan....not/never sold in the US.

Mine is a model F16D....20hp diesel, 3 cylinder, 4x4......I've owned it 7 years and it has been absolutely reliable.....A real gem!....I haven't had any problems starting in the cold but like any diesel, they don't really like it. It does have some sort of fuel heater, that works by turning the key backwards till the light goes off and also a decompression valve.

Yanmar built John Deere's compact diesels for years so if this cold starting deal was an issue, you'd think you would have heard about it on the Deere's.
My engine, transaxle, and front differential are the same as the Deere tractors. Just doesn't have the US safety requirement stuff and green/yellow paint. :)

Lots of info about Yanmar tractors here:

http://www.hoyetractor.com/

PS....I should point out that I usually move the tractor, in the winter, from the barn to the garage. The garage is heated and normally set at 45 degrees @ coldest......Although I have started the tractor in the barn at temps in the 20s.....Just not very often.

Last edited:
DSM, the garden looks great!.....Nothing quite like growing your own grub. :clap:

Thanks for the tip on the "custom" mulching deck!.....:cheers:

Back