A novel way to employment.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I like many had a hard time when the economy went south a few years ago. I am a little picky who I work for, and I am to old take any abuse from Nazi Tree company owners, I tryed craigs list but so did every other out of work climber. No one it seemed was looking for a full time climber/foremen.
So I started asking around to Company's I was known at, if they ever needed someone just for a day or two, I would come in. Ie'd get a call our climber didn't show up today can you work? Or our climber isn't comfortable climbing ...........
I started looking in the phone book for good company's(made some errors in judgement)and offered my services, if they needed anyone for a day or two or a job I was available. Not everyone was receptive at first. But now I have been working 6 and sometimes 7 days a week, for 3 or 4 company's a week. I have 7 companies that use me on a regular basis. I get calls from companies that have heard about me from someone else.
Iv'e weeded out the People I don't like and have favorites that I like. This isn't contract climbing, though I charge more then I made with a full time job. Iv'e made a lot of new friends, I often am asked if I can bring a groundsmen or an other climber(s). I could almost open up a day labor for tree people.
I am in effect a day laborer who makes 200.00 a day. It's a abstract idea to most owner operators, but one they seem to warm up to once they see your for real. I work on payroll under their workers comp and insurance,(though I see a lot of cash)
This is working out really good for me. So much so I have turned down several good job offers for full time employment.
I am sure some will think this is a stupid idea, this isn't for you, but there maybe some who'll run with it and it'll payoff for them. I am just trying to give back a little.
I guess my next step is to get my contractors lic. and own insurence, and be a contract climber. I'm pushing 55 years old, I have to keep reminding my self of that fact. I wish I started doing this 20 years ago.

So in effect you are a journeyman tree climber , as the same as when I was a journeyman iron worker , the best part of that is when someone gets on your nerves you can simply say #### off buddy and move on to the next ! Smart because I have never really found a boss who would tolerate my I don't give a #### attitude and likewise there I do give a #### attitude ! Maybe you should I. Your elder age consider starting a hall and pool good tree workers for day labor jobs charge a small commission for your placement capabilities , hey has that idea already been taken ?

Last edited:

beast i know some veteran climbers back east who do the exact same thing... they like it that way... when they are slow they serve up mulch... or mill the beautiful logs they have tucked away...

It's a abstract idea to most owner operators, but one they seem to warm up to once they see your for real. .

I have a few guys in my phone like you and I've seen this everytime......guys see my outside climber coming in and no one says hi to him, then they see them at work and kinda do that silent nod....makes all the difference in the world if you are talented and hard working.

So in effect you are a journeyman tree climber , as the same as when I was a journeyman iron worker , the best part of that is when someone gets on your nerves you can simply say #### off buddy and move on to the next ! Smart because I have never really found a boss who would tolerate my I don't give a #### attitude and likewise there I do give a #### attitude ! Maybe you should I. Your elder age consider starting a hall and pool good tree workers for day labor jobs charge a small commission for your placement capabilities , hey has that idea already been taken ?

Your " I don't give a #### attitude"? That's interesting.:msp_wink:

Beasty, you are going to drive yourself crazy if not allready. You used to have only one group of people that pissed you off and now you have many.

Your " I don't give a #### attitude"? That's interesting.:msp_wink:

Beasty, you are going to drive yourself crazy if not allready. You used to have only one group of people that pissed you off and now you have many.
You wanna work friday ? I have a decent job I would like to do , no trees to prune just some takedowns , so I won't ##### about your jacked up pruning cuts if ya don't that's fine too LOL I don't give a #### either way !

You wanna work friday ? I have a decent job I would like to do , no trees to prune just some takedowns , so I won't ##### about your jacked up pruning cuts if ya don't that's fine too LOL I don't give a #### either way !

We must have too much time on our hands if we're posting here at this hour of the day lol.
I got some jacked up pruning cuts for ya. Oh btw I'm stealing your mini lift "I have a potty mouth".

We must have too much time on our hands if we're posting here at this hour of the day lol.
I got some jacked up pruning cuts for ya. Oh btw I'm stealing your mini lift "I have a potty mouth".
I am in my office AKA the bucket truck doing call backs writing all my paperwork crap and getting ready to go tear up this BBQ joint I've been sniffing since 10am , its hard to write up crap with this hammerhead shaking the truck with the bucket , looks like I got turrets or a hand quiver LOL ! Anyway if you want my mini I will loan er to ya ! I got my work layed out pretty well now LOL, I like being spoon fed jobs like 1 year old just do bill it leave !

My truck shakes boo hoo.
"Hey you fool, stop shakin me money I'm tryna work here, huu, smells like lunch huu..." focus now, focus

Bought four splitters so far this week, send minions right away. Might become a part time wood boga

Friday!!?? What's today? Hell, I am worse than Beasty so probably not. By the time I got there I would be so pissed off from the drive...

I am learning not to expect much, that way I'm never disappointed. I think I'm going to bring my own groundsmen in the future when I work with some Company, especially on removals. I think I passed crazy a while back and I'm gaining on insane.

Interesting, do you bring your own equipment or use theirs when you are on their payroll and ins.?
Can you handle working for lower money than what you could charge out on your own, or is it the security and ready made work and no hassle of billing and collecting that makes up for it?

I do something similar, but bring my kit, and like you say, my groundie if I need good hands on the ropes, but I have my own insurances and charge accordingly.

Interesting, do you bring your own equipment or use theirs when you are on their payroll and ins.?
Can you handle working for lower money than what you could charge out on your own, or is it the security and ready made work and no hassle of billing and collecting that makes up for it?

I do something similar, but bring my kit, and like you say, my groundie if I need good hands on the ropes, but I have my own insurances and charge accordingly.

Yeah if I had my own insurence I would be in a whole nother tax bracket, and I mean that in a good way. I generally bring my own equipment and drive my own truck. I think it makes me feel more independent. I am still an employee but I have some control.
I'm not getting rich but I am doing better financially then I have in a while. Plus if I want to go fishing in the middle of the week I go. I really love the tree business, but business not so much. I was self employed at one time and did very well, but it consumed me. I don't want to give that much no more.
I am on the verge of making a change, I am kind of at a cross roads in my life, being 54 I have probably seen my best days. I know I would do well in management or some other less physica tree related job, but I love to climb. I have limitations at what I do well these days. I am slow and methodical, not a good trait for some companys. But I shine at hard removals, and perfect trim jobs(here me tell it:msp_smile:) I sometimes get hired at my day rate just to take a crew out, or to run a saw. I do a lot of crane work at times. It's interesting and I go all over the place and meet lots of interesting people. I am having fun doing it. As soon as it becomes a buisness it won't be fun no more I think.

Yeah if I had my own insurence I would be in a whole nother tax bracket, and I mean that in a good way. I generally bring my own equipment and drive my own truck. I think it makes me feel more independent. I am still an employee but I have some control.
I'm not getting rich but I am doing better financially then I have in a while. Plus if I want to go fishing in the middle of the week I go. I really love the tree business, but business not so much. I was self employed at one time and did very well, but it consumed me. I don't want to give that much no more.
I am on the verge of making a change, I am kind of at a cross roads in my life, being 54 I have probably seen my best days. I know I would do well in management or some other less physica tree related job, but I love to climb. I have limitations at what I do well these days. I am slow and methodical, not a good trait for some companys. But I shine at hard removals, and perfect trim jobs(here me tell it:msp_smile:) I sometimes get hired at my day rate just to take a crew out, or to run a saw. I do a lot of crane work at times. It's interesting and I go all over the place and meet lots of interesting people. I am having fun doing it. As soon as it becomes a buisness it won't be fun no more I think.

I refuse to go to a job without my own truck now. Last July I was ropeman for this company for 2 months and the boss dropped us all off at a horse farm at 8 am with 12 bottles of water and a 12 pack of mountain dew. (5 guys) it was a high of 101 the water was gone by noon and by 3pm we were all making the mistake of drinking mountain dew. Me and one other puked, the other three just stopped working and laid in the shade. I finished the week there and said my good byes. he was a computer programmer that bought a tree service, never gave us water and gave us ridiculous instructions on how to do tree work that if we did not do it our way as soon as he pulled off.. someone would of died. I work here and there for other ppl but I cant be a dog, especially not for $100 a day.

Why dont you buy a little chipper, get the minimum liability insurance and just do your own biz?

Why dont you buy a little chipper, get the minimum liability insurance and just do your own biz?

I would love to have a little one man show. The problem is the state of the economy out here in Calif. Especially the area I live in. There isn't that much work, and the work there is doesn't pay what it use to, and there are a bunch of company's fighting for that piece of the pie. I have clients I have had for years, that I still take care of, mostly little jobs.
I start getting really antsy if I don't have steady work coming in. I'm lucky we don't have many bills or debts and my wife is a computer programmer and makes really good money. She would be happy if I just stayed home and would love for me to stop climbing. I like to work though. I'm funny like that.

I would love to have a little one man show. The problem is the state of the economy out here in Calif. Especially the area I live in. There isn't that much work, and the work there is doesn't pay what it use to, and there are a bunch of company's fighting for that piece of the pie. I have clients I have had for years, that I still take care of, mostly little jobs.
I start getting really antsy if I don't have steady work coming in. I'm lucky we don't have many bills or debts and my wife is a computer programmer and makes really good money. She would be happy if I just stayed home and would love for me to stop climbing. I like to work though. I'm funny like that.

our situation sounds similar. my wife owns an internet marketing company, and I do trees. we are planning a move to the bay area to open up a new office there. I would love to get hooked up with something similar to you. it would be nice to take a day off here and there without upsetting a full time employer.

I refuse to go to a job without my own truck now. Last July I was ropeman for this company for 2 months and the boss dropped us all off at a horse farm at 8 am with 12 bottles of water and a 12 pack of mountain dew. (5 guys) it was a high of 101 the water was gone by noon and by 3pm we were all making the mistake of drinking mountain dew. Me and one other puked, the other three just stopped working and laid in the shade. I finished the week there and said my good byes. he was a computer programmer that bought a tree service, never gave us water and gave us ridiculous instructions on how to do tree work that if we did not do it our way as soon as he pulled off.. someone would of died. I work here and there for other ppl but I cant be a dog, especially not for $100 a day.

Why not do both, what your doing now , and have the option of your own jobs
Its nice to have work 6 days a week if you choose,
It is also nice to make 3-4 hundred dollars in a few hours sometimes also.

Latest posts

Back