A VERY inexpensive firewood bundler.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeker

Tree Freak
Reaction score
About $13 for the five inch shrink wrap. And a box. Plus 16-18" firewood.

Fill box tight. Wrap two or three times. Dump out box, and wrap the other end the same way.

Bfw.jpg

Bfw2.jpg

Bfw3.jpg

Faster than tying bailing twine. Which takes about 2-3 minutes per bundle.

Less than a minute with the pics above.

Going to make a more efficient bundler asap.

Kevin

Deek, I could have had a bunch of 16x16 boxes free from work, the idea was to fill the box with wood and sell it in the box, handy firestarter included.

The downfall was the cost of boxes if the free supply dried up and people expected the box treatment...

I haven't sold a stick of campfire wood yet, but I'm planning on getting into it at some point soon.

Good idea and dirt cheap. Now, it you could make a cheap, strong box that wouldn't fall apart, you'd have it made.

Consider using some 2 x 4's and 2 x 2's to make a frame and screw/glue them together the same size internally that the box is. The frame is all you need. Something like this:
FirewoodBundleRack.gif

Note that this jig makes bundles of two sizes when turned 90 degrees sideways. I lapped the joints for strength, but you don't need to be quite so fancy. Adjust the dimensions for the size of the bundles that you want to sell.

Ultimately, it's the inside dimensions that count.

th_IMG_2904[1].jpg (4.7 KB, 88 views)

th_IMG_2903[1] (2).jpg (5.4 KB, 83 views)

thats how i do it. with 4 empty 5 gallons, i cut it at almost 12 inchs, and put them on a angle rack. do a side, flip them on the other side. 2 $ eachs. 30-40 packs in a hour. Really fast all alone. what about 2 guys, 2 saw bucks, and a dozen of plastics 5 gallons.!!
sorry about the sellers of firewood wrapping machine...

another discussion of the same subject here:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=110627

If you can find a milk crate they work great for doing bundles plus the wood slides out of the crate easier as your wrapping has worked great for me

This thread got me thinking, why not just noodle a section out of a large round the right size of a bundle. Cut about 8 inches thick so the wood can extend to be shrink wrapped on both ends. Here it is in mspaint form, with high def bark graphics.
logholder.jpg

Amazing you fellas are!

My Father in Law was right "Necessity is the mother of invention"!
Deeker was that shrink wrap on a plastic holding handle?
Lawrence

This thread got me thinking, why not just noodle a section out of a large round the right size of a bundle. Cut about 8 inches thick so the wood can extend to be shrink wrapped on both ends. Here it is in mspaint form, with high def bark graphics.
logholder.jpg
That might work, Vince, but you still have to keep the big notched log from rolling around on you as you work. Round bottoms roll like wheels and legs tend not to.

Add a couple of wedge-shaped firewood logs at the bottom as wheel chocks.

more shrink wrap saving

at work they use a chop saw to cut shrink wrap rolls to length.
you get a few rolls out of one long roll - thats it/

SA

SA
I once used a band saw to do that and don't recommend it. The plastic shrink wrap gets hot as you cut it, melts, and gums up the blade, regardless of what saw you use. Takes forever to clean it. In the case of the band saw, it also clogs up the rubber tires.

My Father in Law was right "Necessity is the mother of invention"!
Deeker was that shrink wrap on a plastic holding handle?
Lawrence

Lawrence, you are correct. It is stretch wrap..on a paper core.

Ordered a catalog from Uline products. They have handles and stretch and shrink wrap. And some neat products for the paper core as a handle.

Kevin

I once used a band saw to do that and don't recommend it. The plastic shrink wrap gets hot as you cut it, melts, and gums up the blade, regardless of what saw you use. Takes forever to clean it. In the case of the band saw, it also clogs up the rubber tires.

I thought about that with the Jet verticle saw we have. Too bad I don't have a water drip system like on my Norwood LM2000. That would cut it fast...and keep it cool.

Kevin

SA

That would probably cut it faster than my band mill.

Does it gum up the blade???

Could spray it with a bit of liquid dish soap just before you cut with it.

I might have to try that one.

Kevin

Well it works ok, just lots of tiny saw bites of the roll.
However, i thought about it and what they have at work is heavy duty wrap, the ones they also use to hold numerous cardboard boxes on a pallet together for shipping. It just might be a cheapee one (and hey, it is a money-saving-thread...) melts faster.
Nothing like experimenting.
Maybe a fine hacksaw like the ones used to manually cut metal will do it w/out melting all over a chop/bandsaw.

SA

Here is a pic of our bundle set up. It is a table with 3 pieces of 1/4" rebar nailed about 2" apart. We stack the wood on the pieces of rebar until we get to the size bundle we want. Then we wrap it with standard 16 or 18 inch pallet wrap.

Our sizing is simple also. Its a rope with 2 knots tied in it. Wrap it around the bundle and the size has to fall in between the 2 knots.

total investment approx $30 for the setup. Less than $100 for a case of 12 rolls of wrap. $50 for the wrap handle. One roll of wrap will do 100 or so bundles.

We also stick a flyer in each bundle for advertising. During the fall we get several calls a week for 1/2 or whole cord loads from folks who got the # from a bundle flyer.

Latest posts

Back