? About Chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at Labonville ,or Sweede Pro if you want some seriously decent chaps .
I'm pretty sure bailey's ( one of our sponsors ) carries Labonville . If you order chaps , the are measured from the waist ( belt line) not the inseam .

Important thing is getting chaps that you will wear. That is a plus for a store where you can try them on.
Some chaps have more layers of protective material, and better coverage, but are heavier and hotter to wear. If you don't wear them . . . .

Get a pair of suspenders to go with them.

Check these out for fun: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/229848.htm

Philbert

Full wraps. I wear shorts when I'm out cutting anyways. The chaps will keep you warm/hot 3 out of four seasons if you get snow. 4 out of 4 if you don't get snow.

Yeah, they're hot. I take them off whenever I'm taking a break, or when I'm sharpening the chain on the saw.

Labonville is the way to go. I've looked at others and don't see quality in them like the Labonvilles.

Now, these are not an item to protect you from your own stupidity. It's for the worst case scenario slip up or unavoidable accident. Don't get complacent and think you're Superman.

Full wraps. I wear shorts when I'm out cutting anyways. The chaps will keep you warm/hot 3 out of four seasons if you get snow. 4 out of 4 if you don't get snow.

Yeah, they're hot. I take them off whenever I'm taking a break, or when I'm sharpening the chain on the saw.

Labonville is the way to go. I've looked at others and don't see quality in them like the Labonvilles.

Now, these are not an item to protect you from your own stupidity. It's for the worst case scenario slip up or unavoidable accident. Don't get complacent and think you're Superman.

I agree 100%

Once you decide to buy and wear chaps what you need to look at is the protection the filler provides. Don't go by the name on the chaps, it means nothing. Sorta like buying a truck by brand name and ending up with Ford because that's what everybody said to buy. Then you take it to the hitch shop for a gooseneck hitch to pull your backhoe trailer and the shop refuses to do the work. You can't pull a backhoe with a half ton truck.

The best chaps will use Kevlar, not some generic "aramid" fiber. How many layers? This determines protection and flexibility. Coverage is another issue. I can wear FSS chaps in 100 degree plus weather on the fireline and not be bothered. That is over 1 or 2 layers of "Nomex". I'm not particularly tough, it just needs to be done. Still chaps do you no good sitting in the back of the truck, so buy what you will wear.

Labonville makes several styles of chaps. Give them a call direct and ask for their advice. IMO Stihl and Husqvarna chaps are cheap junk. Get the best.

Also, buy a first aid dressing pouch or a combo wedge/dressing pouch from Labonville or Stihl or Buckingham and put an Israeli dressing and a SWAT-T in it and put it in your chaps belt

The lowest cost chaps I've found are the Dolmar's, they go for about $65 regular, $75 full wrap. Oregon's are stupid high (like most their stuff...) Labonville are good stuff. Total also have nice ones, that's what I use. Again, more pricey. But hey, legs aint cheap either! I carry a heavy bleed bandage set with me incase too.

Some of the big box stores that sell Husqvarna saws also sell the basic, Husky apron chaps for about $60.

These are lighter weight than some of the other chaps mentioned, and do not have the wrap protection, but what I consider to be basic protection.

BTW - did have trouble with the wrap portion of my Husqvarna wrap chaps staying wrapped, and had to modify them slightly: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/126733.htm Something you might want to check regardless of brand.

Philbert

When I'm through cutting, I want out of my chaps a quickly as possible because I sweat like a stuck hog. For that reason, I won't wear full wrap, and quick release buckles are a welcome.

If you're using a light weight saw, a standard pair of chaps should be just fine. However, a large saw with a long bar, you may want that extra layer of protection.

Buy em n wear em

my GF got me a set of full wrap Labonville chaps from Bailey's for my birthday. First time cutting after I had them I was not going to wear them. Only reason was that I was cutting small stuff and I had never had chaps for the first 15 years of using a saw.
It dawned on me how stupid it would be to get hurt when the chaps were in the shop by the rest of my saws.
I wear them every time now.

Point is, get them and you have no reason to not wear them.

I have / use the Stihl ones...and use a few Velcro 1" strips to keep them close to my calves.

But it's all about what job you are doing...like bucking...I wouldn't use the strips...better ventilation in summer.

But I...Always have the strips on when limbing ...or in the brushy stuff...little room for error there..!!

Really considering some Labonville pants for this winter..as I've got a ton of brushwork for the FS-250 to do
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also...it is said that "chaps" should NEVER be machine washed...only hand-washed if you choose to wash at all.

It really changes the 'texture' from hard to 'mush'....and my understanding is that the 'machine wash'

just 'resettles' the protective fibers around and soo...they're un-evenly placed and thus a hazzard....

I saw one dude's Stihl chaps and they so 'crumbly' they could have used as as a baby warmer..!!
(it clearly is tagged on the waistband...to hand-wash only..!!)
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
I have / use the Stihl ones...and use a few Velcro 1" strips to keep them close to my calves.

But it's all about what job you are doing...like bucking...I wouldn't use the strips...better ventilation in summer.

But I...Always have the strips on when limbing ...or in the brushy stuff...little room for error there..!!

Really considering some Labonville pants for this winter..as I've got a ton of brushwork for the FS-250 to do..!!
J2F

What? You wear chaps for weedwacking? Come on. I run that in my shorts, I do wear steel toe boots as well.

I used to pick gravel out of my shins weedwacking in shorts, grew up in California.

With the devils club and sumac we have up here, no way I'd cut that stuff in shorts :msp_scared:

+1:msp_thumbup:

Get the full wraps...sure there hot, but the straps on the half-wraps will get hung up on brush and branches when yer tromping and dump ya on yer face!

Ugh! They are hot.

Was going to order half-wraps to use in summer, but you just reminded me why I didn't get them in the first place years ago.

What? You wear chaps for weedwacking? Come on. I run that in my shorts, I do wear steel toe boots as well.

Chaps save your pants when weedwacking.Won't end up with a pair of chlorophyll encrusted and stained jeans to try to get clean.Plus if your clearing thick **** helps you from getting hooked.Bought my first pair of chaps this spring on closeout from TSC, won't go with out them now, never to old to learn.Biggest complaint I have is the full wrap and pants are made for "average" size guys so in my case I look like I'm ready for a flood(38" inseam).The cheap Huskie chaps are long enough if I sling 'em kind of low.Paul Bunyon didn't wear chaps 'cause they didn't come in his size.

I said.."Brushcutting..not 'weed-whacking' - BIG difference..IMHO - there's 'kick-back' occasionally and don't want in my leg!!

Just messin' with ya - - You knew what I meant...briars and brambles can be nasty stuff...!! - and there's 6' stuff too..!!
(were talking metal chisel blades here..!! - and 'blades' means just that - and NOT 'Bars" - LOL..!!)

You get those big chisel..(and shredder) blades spinning hard...they can rip some ass..if you can't control 'em..!!
J2F

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back