About to buy a new chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanoyee

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm about to fork over about $450 for a new chainsaw... And there's 3 saws that are on my short list:
Dolmar 5105
Husqvarna 545
Echo 500

These 3 will more than meet my needs. I am looking for reliability, durability, and good performance (don't need the absolute fastest but it would be fun!). If you have any experience with any of these, I'd love to hear what you have to say. Almost didn't include the Echo 500 but couldn't resist adding it... it just looks really well made. Right now, the 5105 seems to be tops on my list... hard to find someone with a 545 after calling around. I like everything about the Husky and Dolmar.

I don't need to move up in performance because I've already done that (thanks to AS!!! :msp_mad: ) and it would be overkill for what I need. If I were to drop down in performance, I would be spending about $400, so I figured I'd just spend the extra $50 to upgrade.

I'll be visiting stores to get my hands on them and also try to find a good dealer. I like what's been written about all 3 but would like to hear what you have to say about them esp compared to one another if you've been able to experience that.

Thanks for feeding my CAD! I can't believe I'm doing all this... :laugh: Wife thinks I'm nuts! Probably nothing new to you guys!

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with ANY of those 3, but I'll add my 2 cents anyway.

I'd also have to look real hard at a redmax 4500. If you don't have a RedMax dealer, there's some on here, and there are some on the 'bay.

Echo is a solid built japanese saw. Mag case adjustable oiler decent cut speed. Dolmar 5105 is a mag case saw adjustable oiler. The dolmar would be faster in the cut. The dolmar has a lot of torque.

I fondled the 545 at my dealer and while I really Really dont need one I'm very tempted to get one.

It feels great in the hands, Great Design.

I'm going to wait a while tho just to see how others like it as I still have saws in that CC range that work great.

Again, It really has a great ergonomic feel to it.

I fondled the 545 at my dealer and while I really Really dont need one I'm very tempted to get one.

It feels great in the hands, ...

... Know what you mean, I fondled... er, looked at one today too!... :redface:

Interesting story while I was at pretty big Stihl / Husky dealer. I walked in (2nd time in store) and asked if what he recommended had come in with the latest shipment... "No." So I saw a 545 and picked it up. It was only the PH but seemed like nice quality and light for just the PH. Then spotted a 353 on the top shelf... Pulled that down. Started asking questions about both. Prices were 545 = $440, 353 = $400. Then without any prompting, he said if he were going to choose between the 2, he would take the 353. He said the new models with the autotune have been coming back for repairs. On the bench was a 562 all hooked up that was only 3 mos old and it needed a new carb. Said that repairs have been higher than normal since the new models came out.

Then he said that owners will no longer be able to do their own tuning unless they buy the cables and software to connect it to a computer... and that all costs $280! Said working on these models was a PITA! He didn't like working on them at all.

Anyone else hear anything similar? Anybody worked on one of these new models without a computer?

... Know what you mean, I fondled... er, looked at one today too!... :redface:

Interesting story while I was at pretty big Stihl / Husky dealer. I walked in (2nd time in store) and asked if what he recommended had come in with the latest shipment... "No." So I saw a 545 and picked it up. It was only the PH but seemed like nice quality and light for just the PH. Then spotted a 353 on the top shelf... Pulled that down. Started asking questions about both. Prices were 545 = $440, 353 = $400. Then without any prompting, he said if he were going to choose between the 2, he would take the 353. He said the new models with the autotune have been coming back for repairs. On the bench was a 562 all hooked up that was only 3 mos old and it needed a new carb. Said that repairs have been higher than normal since the new models came out.

Then he said that owners will no longer be able to do their own tuning unless they buy the cables and software to connect it to a computer... and that all costs $280! Said working on these models was a PITA! He didn't like working on them at all.

Anyone else hear anything similar? Anybody worked on one of these new models without a computer?

From what you describe above, I'd find a new dealer. I paid $529 for a 550XPG and could have had the regular 550XP without heated handles for $489.

The fact that he doesn't like working on them to me sounds like he doesn't know what he is doing, run Forest run.

From what you describe above, I'd find a new dealer. I paid $529 for a 550XPG and could have had the regular 550XP without heated handles for $489.

The fact that he doesn't like working on them to me sounds like he doesn't know what he is doing, run Forest run.

That dealer was recommended to me by a friend who is a local tree service pro with 30+ yrs experience who owns and operates his own company. Said that the guy I dealt with is a lousy salesman but one of the best techs in the area and knows what he's doing... (fwiw). I think that the guy just needs to get used to a different way of tuning saws after yrs on the bench doing it manually with a screwdriver and now having to get used to cables and computers to do all the tuning.

All these saws will become computerized for good or bad, just like our cars. I can see it now, "Saw, On!"... "Saw, Off!"... "Saw, take me to the big oak tree!"... "Recalculating..." :msp_ohmy:

One of the dealers on here posted last week that the software was $120. I'm not sure if that included the cables, buy you could buy a lot of cabling for $160.

I think the dealers that are set up for them like them just fine. The software gives detailed info about the trouble codes, how long the saw has run, how long it has run, etc.

It is true that there have been some teething problems with the AT, but Husky seems to be responsive to the problems and issuing corrective actions.

One of the dealers on here posted last week that the software was $120. I'm not sure if that included the cables, buy you could buy a lot of cabling for $160.

I think the dealers that are set up for them like them just fine. The software gives detailed info about the trouble codes, how long the saw has run, how long it has run, etc.

It is true that there have been some teething problems with the AT, but Husky seems to be responsive to the problems and issuing corrective actions.

Yeah, the tech showed me the disc and the cable which really was a cable with a "black box" attached (about 4" sq)... so probably some kind of proprietary cable designed specifically for Husky. Which means they can charge what they want for it and gouge dealers for something they need to buy. Going e-tech is good but I'm wondering how they will hold up in the real world?

I like the 545 but if I can't work on it and need to go to the dealer for everything, it will get expensive.

have u had a chance to look at a stihl . yes they cut a little slower but u get what u pay for the saw should run for years on end . thanks brandon

have u had a chance to look at a stihl . yes they cut a little slower but u get what u pay for the saw should run for years on end . thanks brandon

Well, I did look at some... And what the dealer recommended was out of stock with no displays.
What Stihl models would you recommend? Dealer said I should look at a 250, but they seem to get some pretty negative posts here... What do you like about Stihl?

Latest posts

Back