academic recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mquinn

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
not saying that all academic research is worthless, but....

oakwilt will (hopefully) continue to voice objections to academic absurdities and paid-for assessments.

i understand the tendency to go with what the academic 'experts' come up with. often times, a person has no other obvious place to turn. also, as i was once young, too, with a brain, i understand the tendency to favor academic information as being better and more informed than information that comes from outside the hallowed halls.

fortunately, for me, i got the opportunity to get my degrees later in life, and while i was studying my books, i was also studying the mechanics of academia. the useful stuff i learned didn't come from the books, either. you can always get the books and look up what they say. what is useful is to learn to read what's not printed.

and here i will tell one sad little story from when i was studying at UC Davis. there was a professor there who also sat on the california citrus board. the state had declared that the med fruit fly had not become established there - if that status should change, the state would lose their export privileges to japan. if you don't know already, all the premium first grade produce goes to export - the next grade goes to domestic restaurant use - and the general public has access to anything below that in grocery stores. money from citrus export to japan is very high on california's books.

this professor had shown with the state's own data that the medfly was indeed established in the state, and he continued to try to report and publish that work. during the time i was there in school, the head of the entomology department was repeatedly pressured to dismiss the professor - and twice threatened with being "destroyed" in his own position. the professor himself received several death threats. (in fact, i do not know if he is dead or alive at this point.) these people are serious. and they have lots of money to see that things go the way they want.

i could tell lots of little stories about what money from chem companies was buying in the entomology dept at UC alone - a public institution, i will remind. i myself was involved in research that was financed by chem grants. your data in those instances is not yours, it's theirs. and your findings get published only if they like what you find. not to mention that early findings, without the necessary rigorous trials will often enough be pushed - plenty of sales can be made before 'new' findings turn up.

open eyes and ears. listen to those who are telling you what's going on.

like oakwilt.

Here's mome salt Meesh-El. Pass it around. Directions, Take a few grains prior to reading any corporate literature.

Healthy skeptisism is always good.

When used my CPAL I read lables. I was always bohtered by some pests being listed on the applicable use portion as "limited control". To me that reads "Uhh, well, it sorta works on these, but not good."

Don't forget the prohibitive cost of research. There just isn't the money available in the public sector alone. I was told about someone's research requiring special fertilizer that cost $32,000 for less than 70 trees! Half of the trees were about 2" caliper, too. That money could employ a professor for a year! Schools have tough choices, especially with tight budgets.

Please think of donating to the TREEfund if you're able to. It's a separate corporation formed by the merging of NAA and ISA research funds. Monies from them don't come with the same pressures for sales, and you can publish your results whether people like them or not. Nevertheless, the people who distribute the money cannot make themselves 100% objective, but you'll find that everywhere.

Nickrosis

It's a bit more serious than just thinking the money's gotta come from somewhere. I suggest ya'll get your hands on today's release of the New England Journal of Medicine.

oakwilt writes: "It's a bit more serious than just thinking the money's gotta come from somewhere. I suggest ya'll get your hands on today's release of the New England Journal of Medicine."

indeed it is a bit more serious. check this one:

"In September, an investigative committee found that 17 papers authored by Schon, considered to be major breakthroughs in physics, were mostly fabrications." http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,56137,00.html

unfortunately, his work is still out there.

and in a more innocent, but not inconsequential type of scientific misrepresentation....when i left uc davis, i left some unpublished research that no one came in after me to continue. so it sits, buried, unused. now the results of this particular reserach showed that the model pest management experts and entomologists base their recommendations on (called the degree day model for insect growth and development) has a flaw, and will not bear out in certain situations. i discovered that problem purely by accident - by screwing up one of my research trials (i overlooked a rep and didn't get it back into the growth chamber over a weekend). i followed the screwed up trial anyway, and found out that it completely blew the degree day model's reliability.

that means that everyone doing research and field work based on the degree day model is using a faulty model. that's a whole lot of reserach and field work, folks. that's the very basis of integrated pest management timing.

ah, don't lose your sense of humor. you're gonna need it.....

just in case you ever need another one

"Scientific Journal Compromised by Industry Ties

Tobacco, Chemical, & Drug Companies' Funding Goes Undisclosed"

(full story) http://www.cspinet.org/new/200211191.html

....RTP is the official journal of the International Society for Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology (ISRTP), a membership organization that receives major financial support from chemical, drug, and tobacco companies. The journal is published by Academic Press, a unit of Elsevier, one of the world's leading publishers of scientific journals. According to the scientists' letter to Academic Press, many RTP papers are written by scientists from industry labs or by industry-paid lawyers and lobbyists. The same industries might then use RTP articles in court to help derail lawsuits, or to make the case for less regulation in legislative- and executive-branch proceedings, according to critics.

For instance, Gio Gori, the current editor of RTP, received $30,000 from the tobacco industry to write a paper entitled "Mainstream and environmental tobacco smoke." That paper, which downplayed the risks of second-hand smoke, was published in RTP. The tobacco industry used Gori's paper to argue against the Environmental Protection Agency's efforts to protect nonsmokers from second-hand smoke.

"I am distressed to see a 'scientific' journal that serves as a pawn for industry and that sometimes publishes papers whose conclusions aren't supported by the data," said James Huff, Ph.D., a toxicologist and senior investigator at the National Institute for Environmental Health Sciences in Research Triangle Park, N.C. "I question whether there is even a bona fide peer-review system in place at RTP."

Special Forces had a wonderfully successful program in psychological warfare (psy-ops) that's basis was to push a lie often enough that people believed it. Now it's matured and installed and the Pentagon's Office of Information.

I estimate roughly that 65% of knee-jerk reactionism (re: Rush) is the results of just such programming. I remember that General Westmoorland who was MACV commander in 'Nam told CBS news that Vietnamese people can't love family members, especially their own children like an American mother can. This made it much more easier to kill civilians without the constant worry of emotional issues that usually accompany such actions. The science behind the defence of 2,4,5-T (half of Agent Orange), at the time the largest demand herbicide globally and produced by Dow chem was so flawed and slanted I couldn't believe they tried to present it in court. They did though, and many judges fell victim to the lies from corporate America. There are brave people out there yet, although a minority. Lab workers and researchers who have the balls to come forth have my upmost respect. All other spineless people deserve what ultimately happens. Even crime statistics, economic forecasts, and terror intel is falling victim to falsified data nowdays.

Next time someone wants to cite science and insist on methods to verify, the growing rule of thumb for accuracy is going to be..."baloney, show me your funding source and who sits on that board over them". Do not believe and always ask questions. Resist. Agitate. Fight against.

Latest posts

Back