Acorns by the ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang squirrels did their best to darn near strip one of my Pin Oaks down to sticks this year. It was shocking how aggressive they were in attacking it this year! None of my other oaks had any nuts this year, so maybe it was the limited availability. Once the dogs found out they were in the yard though, they were a little less eager to get to the tree...

This year seems on par with last. I collect them for kid craft projects my wife does with our kids and at the local library.

But last year was prolific. I live close to red and white oak's northernmost range. Wonder if changes in the growth environment are encouraging oak over the more cold-resistent species. Nature does and science lags in explaining.

Marine5068,

Same here for acorns, we could have a truck load from each tree, same for black cherry just covered in fruit.
Funny though that black walnut has almost none this year and most fruit trees produced almost nothing.
Guess it's a response to the well below average winter last year, some trees like oak and black cherry got the message to set seed heavily and most other trees just recovered from winter.

The white oak family will sprout the first year but the red oak family will sprout the following year.

Latest posts

Back