Added a Stihl 009L

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PEKS

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Picked up a Stihl 009L today..
Traded a few Spydercos..
Runs great..
The thread on chain oil filler cap is broken, chain oil drain leaked out, a new cap should solve the seepage issue..
It came with 2-14" 63 PM-50E chains, hopefully these are still available..
It will have a workout once the filler cap is replaced..
(most likely change the filter and plug even though they look good)

Few pictures attached..

Last edited:
Picked up a Stihl 009L today..
Traded a few Spydercos..
Runs great..
The thread on chain oil filler cap is broken, chain oil drain leaked out, a new cap should solve the seepage issue..
It came with 2-14" 63 PM-50E chains, hopefully these are still available..
It will have a workout once the filler cap is replaced..
(most likely change the filter and plug even though they look good)

Few pictures attached..

That one is in great shape....one of the nicest ones I've seen

-Greg

I ran 009's for trim saws for years and loved them. I always find it interesting how guys rave about the MS200 and MS201 and downgrade the 009. The 009 has a 2.5 displacement while the 200 and 201 have a 2.14. for what they are, they are a great saw by me.

Only had 2 problems with them, One was the weak reeds. Broke a few and one scrapped a cylinder when it fell in. They also have a rubber plug by the sprocket that leads directly to the underside of the air filter. Had that fall out on one and pack the crankcase full of sawdust and scrapped another cylinder. New cylinder and piston, cleaned the case and it still goes to this day. I pulled all my others and siliconed them and never had that happen again. Nice find!

That is a nice one for sure. I just had one of these in my hand today at a pawn shop. Not as good as this one though. Also I saw an 010 that looked almost the same, not sure what the differences are.

I have an 009L and it has a lot more guts than one would expect.

The 009's are really good saws along with the 011's and 012's. They don't get much fanfare, but imo they are pretty dang good.

Nice saw, I've got one that has literally been beat and abused to death, looks like it needs to go to the salvage pile for parts and just can't kill it. They were a good little saw, many cuss them, but I've sure got my moneys worth out of mine, it was one of my first ever fleabay purchases, need to go through it in my spare time. You did well, you'll like it. No telling how many thousands of them were sold. Congrats.

Back