Added Benefits of Wood Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tla100

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I mainly started to keep house warm in power outage and was sick of propane prices. But, the feel of wood heat is way better than propane.

Wonderful smell of burning wood everyday.

I suppliment garage floor heat.

Fryin steaks on cast iron pan in butter is great!

Buy more saws than i need.

Funny one, just had a kid, n poor little guy gets hiccups, well took him down to stove a few times to get him a little different scenery. Everytime he stopped hiccups within 10-20 seconds.....I thought crazy huh? Told the wife to try today and 2 times it worked for her too. So far, 5 - 0 wood stove beats hiccups.....anyway thought it was interesting.......

Amazing how a while wood stove just puts a guy to sleep. Works for kids too. When my little man is crabby I take him down to the basement to warm up beside the stove, don't take long then it's lights out.
We were traveling so left our dog with my dad. He got along great. Dog was pretty old. Pop said they both get around about the same. My sister stopped by to fill Pop's meds. Pop in his chair snoring, dog by the stove doing same. Heat and hum of blower. Sister called to Pop several times but neither moved. She filled meds and left.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

We've got a blue female pit that we got little over a year now. Winter of 15/16 she'd always sit beside me while loading or starting a fire. This winter she will lay in front of it, pant her little butt off but she won't move.

My smaller pup loves the stove. she is visibly upset if i let it go out and will stand next to it and judge me until i re-light it. pretty much her spot all winter.

As far as benefits:

Better heat then the furnace, a lot cheaper too. I cut on 11 of my own acres, so the wood cost is my time.
Hotter: our thermostats are set to 63 degrees. I wouldn't want to pay to heat any hotter with propane. With the wood stove going, I can heat the majority of my house on wood and the propane only has to carry about 400 sq feet. huge savings in the winter.
Better for my health: I am pretty lazy overall, but i love processing firewood. It is my main source of exercise and keeps me in better shape.
Backup: We just lost power for 2 days. The stove kept us extremely warm without having to run the generator all the time. It is nice to know that while i may not be able to power my house, i can always keep it warm.

There's so much to it, that it's difficult to know where to begin. There's the whole "self-sufficiency" aspect whereby if the power goes out, you've got the only warm house on the street. Getting a tri-axle load of logs delivered always intrigues the neighbors but really that's my summer work out program. The kids can play in the yard while I'm out back cutting rounds and getting stuff ready for the splitter. One of my neighbors is a plumber and sometimes he needs firewood, so that whole "barter" system thing has paid off in spades.

Dunno, heat is heat. Sure is nice not having to fuss with a stove, but gas or diesel costs and wood doesn't.

Lots of folks just like wood. I brought 2 cords this past week to a guy that doesn't even have a stove, just burns in a fire pit outside!

My previous dog had a thin coat. He loved the wood stove. He was hot to the touch after awhile. The puppy (avatar pictured) is part Akita and she has more hair then two dogs need, and she still likes the stove.

When my mom was going through chemo, she would drive her little scooter by the stove and nap. She passed two days before their 50th anniversary.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I have my wood stove in the shop nice fire, gentle CD playing & getting in a bit of therapeutic chain filing, after a time bad smell ( cause older of the two Labs 12years old lays so close to stove his fur singes ) have to poke him with sweeping brush handle to get him to move. Silly old "bugger doesn't know he's about to catch fire, the joys of getting old.

Back