adding a filter to a dump trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johncinco

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am thinking of adding a filter to the hydraulic lines of my dump trailer. There currently is none. The trouble I run into, or reason for my debating this, is I think I a getting water into the system. Either through absorbtion, or a leak into the tank when it rains that I just cant seem to correct. Anyway, I want to add a filter that will get out the water, as well as just filter the fluid to keep the pump working longer. I am sure I want to install it on the return side, since the pressure might might blow it out otherwise. This is a gravity down system, so I dont think there is pressure on the way down.

Any ideas, help advice can I get. Thanks

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a filter that will take water out of hydraulic oil. The only solution I know of is to find where the water is getting in and stop it, then drain the oil, and all the lines, & cylinder.
If you find a filter that will do it please let me know, it would save me a lot of time & money.

Andy

So Hyd oil is not like oil, one will not float on top of the other? I have drained the oil and replaced it all already, but it keeps getting moisture in it. If I run it repeatedly and hard over a short time, I think it starts to boil the water out, its starts to steam and will begin to leak out of the vent. If I look at the oil before use it looks like regular oil , but after some use it starts to look milky. I found the manufacturer info on it last night so I am going to give them a call and see what they have to say.

A petcock on the bottom of the resevoir can be used to periodically remove moisture. Also you could have condensation in your resevoir causing your moisture problems.

If your trailer has a vertically (front mounted) mast, the water is probably getting in past the seals of the hoist. We were having the same problem, covered the top of the mast with a piece of pond liner and hose clamp & haven't had a problem since.

Back