Adding chainbrakes to older saws- Husky 380cd and Stihl 020avp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tempestv

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got two older saws that run great, but are lacking a chainbrake.

The first is a Husqvarna 380cd. As I understand it, when they added the brake to these saws, it was mounted to the chain cover, so all I need is a chain cover with a brake and I'll be set. Does anyone know where to look for one? Would a cover off of another similar saw fit?

The second is a Stihl 020 avp rear handle. The saw already has the plastic piviting handguard to work with a brake, and a side cover desined to accept the brake. From what I've read, what I need is a handguard spring, brake band, and brake linkage, or a chain cover with the brake assembely already mounted. Am I missing anything? How does the brake band hook to the handguard? Does anyone have one of these saws with a brake that could take some pictures? Where might I find a chain cover with the brake band installed in it?

I just want to be able to lock the brake when I'm moving around with the saw running.

And the 020 is my carving saw, safety chain wouldn't work so well.

on the 020, the handguard is there, but the brake band isn't there, nor does there seem to be any way to connect the handguard to a brake band. The handguard will flop back and forth, into the "locked" position, but it doesn't connect to anything.
I was hoping that someone could snap a picture of the brake assembely, so that I could see exactly which parts I'm missing.

I've got two older saws that run great, but are lacking a chainbrake.

The first is a Husqvarna 380cd. As I understand it, when they added the brake to these saws, it was mounted to the chain cover, so all I need is a chain cover with a brake and I'll be set. Does anyone know where to look for one? Would a cover off of another similar saw fit?

Never seen a functioning CB on any of the CD models. Best bet is EBay.

The second is a Stihl 020 avp rear handle. The saw already has the plastic piviting handguard to work with a brake, and a side cover desined to accept the brake. From what I've read, what I need is a handguard spring, brake band, and brake linkage, or a chain cover with the brake assembely already mounted. Am I missing anything? How does the brake band hook to the handguard? Does anyone have one of these saws with a brake that could take some pictures? Where might I find a chain cover with the brake band installed in it?

The brake band is in the clutch cover and is activated by a metal lever that sticks out the top of the clutch cover and has a bent tang that engages the hand guard. Would probably be best to get a complete unit. Site sponsors or EBay is probably the best place. There many 020 covers out there that never were set up for brakes, it would be best to find a complete functional one.

You could put an ad in the classified section and ask some of the site sponsors.

Last edited:
As far as the 380 and ebay- there is a chain cover with brake listed, but it's in the UK, and it's an aftermarket setup, that they say may or may not fit. Not to mention, I'm not sure I'm ready to spend $100 for a chain brake for a saw that I pieced together from a doner jug for $30.

They claim that chain cover will fit the 180, 280, 380, and 480, and I've heard that clutch drums on the x80 saws are for the most part interchangeable, so is there any chance that chain covers with brakes from any of the x80 saws would work?

Last edited:
No clue on the 380 AM parts, cannot say as I have ever see any.

The hand guard on the 020AVP needs to have a slot on the clutch drum side of it for the metal lever to engage. If it does not have the slot molded into it then you would need the hand guard as well, there should be a spring to put tension on the hand gaurd as well.

The hand guard on the 020AVP needs to have a slot on the clutch drum side of it for the metal lever to engage. If it does not have the slot molded into it then you would need the hand guard as well, there should be a spring to put tension on the hand gaurd as well.

Is this the notch?
View attachment 252346

If I'm correct then one of the following pieces connects into that notch to activate the brake band?

NEW STIHL Chainsaw Chain Brake Linkage Lever 020 AV O20 020AV 1114-162-5010 | eBay

NEW STIHL Chainsaw Safety Chain Brake Lever 020 AV O20 020AV 1114-160-5003 | eBay

The notch is the groove that is in the side of the hand guard. The flip the arrow around and it would be pointing at it. The bottom EBay auction is the lever that would engage the notch. The lever comes out the slot in the top of the clutch cover and engages the notch/slot in the side of the hand guard.

You would be getting nicled and dimed to death trying to build up the set. Try to find a complete functioning cover. Without a parts breakdown in front of you it is almost impossible to make sure that you have all the right little bits and at $10.00 a bit that will get frustrating.

Anybody got the chain brake parts breakdown for him?

Did you contact any of the site sponsors that sell used parts?

I emailed a few places, haven't heard back from them.
I'm going to call a few places tomorrow.

So I hit a snag on the 020- the handguard on my saw does not have the groove for the brake pin. I don't get it- the handguard on the saw seems to be built for a brake- it isn't fixed like a lot of the older handguards out there, it pivots like a brake handguard, and it has a little catch that holds it in place when you push it forward into "locked" position, but it doesn't accept a brake. what's the point?
Does anyone know if the handguard with the brake groove will fit on my saw?

I might have found a solution on the 380. A friend of mine gave me a blown up Husky 61, and the clutch cover appears to be an exact match from the clutch pocket forward. It doesn't stick as far back as the original cover, but it covers all the vitals, even if it looks a little funny. The only problem is that the brake lever want to sit right in the same spot as the handle on the 380, so currently the cover won't fit on. I'm going to take a torch to the metal brake lever and bend it a little forward and I think it will fit.

Is this the notch?
If I'm correct then one of the following pieces connects into that notch to activate the brake band?

NEW STIHL Chainsaw Chain Brake Linkage Lever 020 AV O20 020AV 1114-162-5010 | eBay

NEW STIHL Chainsaw Safety Chain Brake Lever 020 AV O20 020AV 1114-160-5003 | eBay

Dunno if this helps, but I have added images from my saw's break. And also a spare parts list for 020 I found earlier in some other thread (had to zip it as it was over 1,25 MB).
View attachment 255637
View attachment 255638

on the 020, the handguard is there, but the brake band isn't there, nor does there seem to be any way to connect the handguard to a brake band. The handguard will flop back and forth, into the "locked" position, but it doesn't connect to anything.
I was hoping that someone could snap a picture of the brake assembely, so that I could see exactly which parts I'm missing.
the brake lever attatches inside a factory hollowed out rescess in the handguard
a friend of mine has 2 or 3 new ones I,m sure he,d sell
PM me and I will put you in touch with him.

Latest posts

Back