Adrenaline overdose, confidence checkup, awareness lesson, terrifying reminder!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by igetbisy
Ok, no, I wasn't tied in twice, :( and the more I think about it, it's hard to use the word calm, but my reactions were fast and efficient,

I would say dumb luck was in your favor at this job. This is unfortunalty a biz that a big mistake usually gets one into the hospital or worse. Glad you made it through in one piece although rattled a little. Good sometimes to knock down the ego a little I thinks it makes us more aware.;)

Originally posted by igetbisy
gee guys, you're all being so kind, I asked not to be ripped to shreads, but I did expect a little bit of ridicule, especially after the admittal of not being tied in twice, I don't believe I've got the rock on ignore, hmmm. thanks.:D

They only get ugly when someone does not admit something was stupid.

I've done it too, finnishing off on the last day of a storm week, I did not get anywhere near throught the cut though.

I will still work a face and even start a big back cut with tie in on a chunk. I make sure to leave a lot of meat and make sure that there are not decay pockets that will suprise me.

Here is a toast to your luck sir, your presence of mind and your future health!:angel:

time to rip

I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. You were not tied in twice??? What were you thinking when you got out of bed in the morning? Today's my lucky day I don't need two tie in points? You spoke of getting out of the buisness if you ever make this mistake again. You didn't make just one mistake. Not having a second tie in was the first mistake. Not moving your lifeline down mistake #2. Not giving the alert ground crew some atta boys for saving your hide is mistake #3. When they make a save they deserve atta boys. Thinking you were fast and efficient is mistake #4, fast and efficient don't make up for mistake #1, Safety First! Two tie in points. Lucky to have an alert ground crew is more like it. Thinking, if I make this mistake again I'll quit tree work is Mistake#5. Making mistakes does not justify quiting. Not learning from your mistakes does. Don't for a miniute think you won't make mistakes again, you may not make the same one twice but you will make mistakes. You will from time to time make them and they will be every bit the rush this one was. That happens. Learn from your mistakes.

I can understand... (that means understand, not condone) not using a lanyard when pruning or cutting limbs.... But topping or working down a spar without a lanyard is inconceivable.....

I almost always cut the notch while tied in above... And on the big stuff, I'll start the bakcut from one side while tied in and finish on the other after moving my TIP..

Slingshot!!!

I was grounding for a friend who "nearly" did what you describe.He had put the face in and was getting set to do the backcut when I noticed that he was still tied into the head with his life line. I got his attention ,I think I jerked his life line or some thing, he looked at me puzzled and I just pointed up.....
He was most gratefull..It wasn't a big tree but it would have been ugly.
Who said... look twice cut once or ABC above ,below ,carabiner.
Take Care

Latest posts

Back