Advice for an Australian milling pecan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkwood

Reaction score
Hi there millers

I've got access to timber from a mature pecan orchard that is being removed (the white cockatoos won the battle against the nut farmer).

A couple of hundred trees with diameters between 30-70cm with most around 45. The form is what you would expect from trees managed for nuts rather than timber.

All my milling to date has been on big native hardwoods so these little american buggers are a new challenge for me. Any advice or suggestions on cutting patterns (backsawn, quartersawn, slabs . . . ?) and or likely end products that the timber would suit (tool handle blanks maybe, although with all the branches there may be more hatchet handles than axe handles, furniture/cabinet, turning pieces . . . ?).

thanks v much

Darkwood in NSW, Australia

Those trees should make decent lumber. The pecan I've milled dulled chains and bandsaw blades quickly so be prepared for that.

Pecan moves quite a bit when drying so stack and sticker it well and add a lot of weight. When it's dry it's fairly stable and very hard. Quarter sawing doesn't benefit the appearance of the finished lumber but it does help a little with stability.

Latest posts

Back