Advice needed for big redwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From pictures of stumps... They look pretty brittle as far as hinge wood.

one thought on cutting high, will the force of cutting the stem say 25' push the lower portion in the opposite direction?

If so maby a happy mediem between wood and heigth can be found.

Seeing pics is miles away from walking circles with a plum bob, wish i was there!

you west coast guys are calling that hollow a cat face, correct?

i am sitting here looking at the base of that tree wondering how the heck that tree is even standing with out any wood underneath it. man, thats crazy.

like the 056kid says. some serious documentation would be outstanding.

you west coast guys are calling that hollow a cat face, correct?

i am sitting here looking at the base of that tree wondering how the heck that tree is even standing with out any wood underneath it. man, thats crazy.

like the 056kid says. some serious documentation would be outstanding.

I call it a goosepen because it a very large opening into the tree. I call a cat face something more akin to a scar and not more than a foot or two deep. The rind (ring) of wood holding up the tree is generally healthy and strong but difficult how to figure out how to cut to make the tree fall safely.

BTW I am going to meet with the county New Years eve (weather permitting)for yet another look see before the permit is issued.

I call it a goosepen because it a very large opening into the tree. I call a cat face something more akin to a scar and not more than a foot or two deep. The rind (ring) of wood holding up the tree is generally healthy and strong but difficult how to figure out how to cut to make the tree fall safely.

BTW I am going to meet with the county New Years eve (weather permitting)for yet another look see before the permit is issued.

2dogs post pics for us less fortunate tree suckas, forget your whimpering
please; as most that have been in those situations understand and the rest
don't matter anyway. Whatever you decide be safe, those forces could have a potential to do grave harm so watch your top knot please.

Last edited:
2dogs post pics for us less fortunate tree suckas, forget your whimpering
please; as most that have been in those situations understand and the rest
don't matter anyway. Whatever you decide be safe, those forces could have a potential to do grave harm so watch your top knot please.

Man I have been taking some grief today! First here and then in the chainsaw forum. Both regarding safety issues. I guess I'm a wimp after all.

You are not a wimp, some things need thought before commencing, this is clearly one of them. Rotten, multi-stem Redwoods, I have felled several, never with a building close by. What kind of ground is just uphill of that cabin, right behind it at an angle uphill?
I used to wander through the timber, checking a couple days ahead, some trees got special attention, planning and nerve raising.

Man I have been taking some grief today! First here and then in the chainsaw forum. Both regarding safety issues. I guess I'm a wimp after all.

I don't think so. Some guys don't know what to say so they just say "be careful". There's a lot more left unsaid in those two words but I think the sentiment is genuine.

Now go cut the damn tree. :)

No 2dogs you are not taking grief from me at all we just want to see is all.
I also want you to come out ok but no grief. In your pics you have several
reasons to be safe. I have not seen your work but I assume you are safe.
In order to do those type jobs skill must be mastered to effectively bring
them down without loss of life and property damage and I trust your up
to the challenge and definately no wimp. In my opinion a wimp is someone
who never tries and a brave studies the situation and comes up with the
best plan and then executes it and even if fear steps up he overcomes
it with technique and skill. We wish to see this skill in action and that in
no way is giving you grief just plain professional empathy.

Last edited:
No 2dogs you are not taking grief from me at all we just want to see is all.
I also want you to come out ok but no grief in your pics you have several
reasons to be safe. I have not seen your work but I assume you are safe.
In order to do those type jobs skill must be mastered to effectively bring
them down without loss of life and property damage and I trust your up
to the challenge and definately no wimp. In my opinion a wimp is someone
who never tries and a brave studies the situation and comes up with the
best plan and then executes it and even if fear steps up he overcomes
it with technique and skill. We wish to see this skill in action and that in
no way is giving you grief just plain professional apathy.

Professional empathy, maybe?

After viewing all the photos, it's obvious that the single stem away from the house has to be dealt with separately. Perhaps the other secondary one as well, which leans closer to the cabin. Given their relatively small size, it might be safe ( I say might, as the strength of the main stem is unknown) to tip tie and lift off 12 footers, using the main stem as spar. weight of those would approach 2500 lb near the unions, which would be fine if angle cuts were made. (hard to lift that much with a GRCS.) You'd need a longer strap as well for it, and a full static line. Then fall the main stem, but it does appear that there's a safe drop zone for 12 footers. If the decision were made to fell the main and left stem as one, it would be a good idea to tie the two tops together.

Get in touch with Gerry Beranek, he's the man for trees like that. Or my top climber, who's currently working in Orinda...tho the GRCS is in my garage.

I think I would fall one lead at a time but pictures are not like being there.
I would be a little Leary of rigging to that co dominant with the degree of
rot and weight transfer. One thing I was wondering is there even a hole to
fell the stems in the jungle on the hill? If they only allow 4 to be cut did that box you in and what would be the result of damaging the smaller growth in the line of felling? I also would want enough pull to move the stem in the desired direction but not so much that it tears out.

idk about you but i feel better when the whole trees on the ground and not lowering 12' sections 130+ feet of teh ground. Drop it uphill and dont forget to run :hmm3grin2orange:

Good luck with these, looks like a fun couple of trees, I guess the job is coming right up. I hope you just drop them, no climbing, 45 degrees up hill- doesn't lool like a good one to me. It looks like there's another burnt out one up the hill in the drop zone, maybe it could be felled to open up you window. At any rate, I like what busheler said, in a way don't over think it. A rope up high makes a lot of sense so you don't put downward pressure on the burnt out hollow stump that could break out. It'll go. Looks a little unnerving- awfully high scaffold/springboard setup to reach sound wood, and this makes a quick escape a little harder, but still possible; it'll go. The pair I'd think will go together no problem since they split soo far up the stem. Best to you.

Back