Advice needed on pinched tip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaberwky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm running a 20" Stihl bar with the sprocket tip. Last night I got the tip pinched when cutting and of course the chain stopped on me. This happens once in a while and usually if I shut off the saw, click the brake off, and "rub" the chain forward & back a few times on the edge of a log, it loosens up and I'm good to go again. (Image A)

This time it wouldn't budge, and I had to take the bar off, shoot the tip sprocket full of WD40, and really run it hard on the face of a solid piece of wood. Finally it loosened up again and spun free. (Image B)

Am I doing the right thing to free up the sprocket or is this dangerous?

Last edited:
I'm running a 20" Stihl bar with the sprocket tip. Last night I got the tip pinched when cutting and of course the chain stopped on me. This happens once in a while and usually if I shut off the saw, click the brake off, and "rub" the chain forward & back a few times on the edge of a log, it loosens up and I'm good to go again. (Image A)

This time it wouldn't budge, and I had to take the bar off, shoot the tip sprocket full of WD40, and really run it hard on the face of a solid piece of wood. Finally it loosened up again and spun free. (Image B)

Am I doing the right thing to free up the sprocket or is this dangerous?

A quality bar is pretty forgiving, you're OK with what you are doing. Be sure and inspect the nose every day or so and mantain the nose and rails as needed.

Back