Advice on milling this maple.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micbiff

Reaction score
I had a maple fall in my yard a few months ago and I'm finally getting around to cleaning up and hopefully milling it. I noticed that the base where it fell had extensive bug damage (termites?) So I did a small cut near the bottom and found some larvae (unclear to me if termite or beetle or other.) House was treated for termites and is monitored/maintained and I have exterminator coming this week just to be safe so not too worried about that .See image.20200411_153150.jpg

Once I started limbing it I noted it had spalting from white rot (i think)20200411_134405.jpg

When I moved into property 4 years ago the past owner had let English ivy go wild and kill many trees. Most of the dead trees and all of the ivy has since been taken care of. I assume this one had succumb to ivy and then the insects moved in sealing it's fate ( I really don't know)

After cleanup I now have 20'+ of trunk and some larger limbs, all else is disposed of.

I did some more exploratory cutting about 2.5' up from base and found more lovely spalting and lots of rot and insect evidence ( mostly all on one side).20200412_151624.jpg
20200412_151707.jpg

I need some advice on how to save as much as I can and how to tackle milling this for best results. I'm using Alaskan chainsaw mill btw. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also have and can take more pictures if it helps.

Thanks.

My advice would be to 1 start peeling bark off and examine the bug damage, then start taking off small rips, 2 start with the bark then take a draw knife to find the punky spots rather than dulling up the chain. Somebody might have a better plan than me hope this helps.

My advice would be to 1 start peeling bark off and examine the bug damage, then start taking off small rips, 2 start with the bark then take a draw knife to find the punky spots rather than dulling up the chain. Somebody might have a better plan than me hope this helps.

Thanks. I want to maximize board length and width.... Since some number of feet by the base will be unusable - how do you suggest I cut it up before milling? It's about 24' long which prob means I get two sections.

You could cut until it is square to get all the live edge off, or just grip-it and rip-it (no pun intended).

Back