Advice on My First Hand Splitting Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchens

Reaction score
I'm new on the forum. I've used a sledge (10 lb) and wedge a handful of times to split rounds. Apart from that and batoning some small logs with a large fixed blade knife, I don't have much experience splitting firewood. Do any of you have advice on what I should purchase for my first hand splitting tool or maybe another thread you could point me to on this forum?

My budget is skinny. I'd like to stay in the $30 range. I've considered an 8 lb maul of some sort. I've also looked at the Fiskars X27, but the one in 36 inch length is just above my price ceiling at around $50. Any thoughts?

My neighbor just recently cut down a few white oaks that were blown down in a storm during the summer of last year. He gave me the rounds from a couple of those trees. They are cut at about 18 to 24 inches long and are probably not anymore than 18 inches in diameter. They still look a little green. I've got them sitting in my back yard, begging to be split.

I just picked up the X27 from Amazon and I have to say it is worth every cent. I haven't used many different axes as I'm mainly a consumer and only process a minimal amount of wood from friends, family, and my land.

It does a very nice job though with minimal fatigue, I normally split up 3-4 larger splits for starting when I bring a load of wood into the house and it makes the process quick and painless. 2 or 3 strikes on each split and I've got some toothpicks, throw some chain oil on the blade and I'm done with it in about 5-10 minutes.

Might be worth it to wait a short while until you see it on sale somewhere or save up the extra $$ for it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The best advice I can offer you is "DON'T DO IT, SAVE UP FOR A SPLITTER)! lol
Now if you don't like that advice, I have a cross between an axe and a maul that I bought at the big orange box store. It has a fiberglass handle and will split just about anything I put it too. I have even beat it with a sledge when I get it stuck. I think it was around 29 bucks.

Fiskars X27-36" Handle

A Fiskars should make quick and easy work of those white oak rounds. I've got a 35 ton splitter and still use the Fiskars when I only have a few to split .

You'll probably get more folks telling you to get a Fiskars than any other tool.

Nosmo

For $30 you can get a fiberglass handle maul from Harbor Freight, or a wood handled maul from a big box store. Either of these in the hands of a splitting rookie will last maybe ten rounds before you break the handle. Then a new wood handle will cost you $10 or a fiberglass one $15. So now you are in for $40-45. I have never used a fiberglass replacement handle, but have never heard of one holding up. The epoxy used to glue them in doesn't hold up well just like the cheep fiberglass mauls. Now for $40 you could buy one of the Fiskars knockoffs that they sell at the big box stores. They will hold up better than the cheep mauls, but the epoxy that holds the head on will eventually give out. Mine has split hundreds of round over a couple of years and the head is starting to get loose. I sure wish I would have spent $20 more on the real Fiskars instead of the knockoff.

Watch Amazon

I would either watch amazon for a sale on a fiskars or just save some more money.

They are worth their weight in platinum!!!!!

Regardless what you buy, hardwood splits easier when you knock off the outside edges first. If you try to split from the center it will frustrate you. It also helps to split inside an old tire, less bending over. I like to swing an axe, using the wedges and a sledge, but my right elbow complains.....

A couple weeks ago the x27 was 39.95 with free shipping at Amazon. Yeah I know , now I tell ya.

Go to the hardware store JUST BEFORE CLOSING with 30 bucks in pennies in a damp brown paper bag, blasted drunk, find the fiskars if you can (maybe a scouting mission the day before will help....
As you pull the bag of quarters outta your pocket it might rip as you stumble and send little brown coins all over the place, flick the bag if you can but spread em everywhere.... Have your buddy at the door with an old truck honking the whole time....

Go to the hardware store JUST BEFORE CLOSING with 30 bucks in pennies in a damp brown paper bag, blasted drunk, find the fiskars if you can (maybe a scouting mission the day before will help....
As you pull the bag of quarters outta your pocket it might rip as you stumble and send little brown coins all over the place, flick the bag if you can but spread em everywhere.... Have your buddy at the door with an old truck honking the whole time....

Hilarious!!!!

Under $40 before shipping

AXES : "FISKARS" SPLITTING AXE

Great tool

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I was able to get my hands on an old maul from a friend, so that should keep me busy and wear me out in the meantime. I'll keep saving my pennies and buy a X27.

Regardless what you buy, hardwood splits easier when you knock off the outside edges first. If you try to split from the center it will frustrate you. It also helps to split inside an old tire, less bending over. I like to swing an axe, using the wedges and a sledge, but my right elbow complains.....

Thanks for the advice. I'll save myself the pain and frustration....

I could probably scout it out the day before, tie a long string to the Fiskars, and follow the string the next day. Or I could just leave a trail of Hot Pockets or something....

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I was able to get my hands on an old maul from a friend, so that should keep me busy and wear me out in the meantime. I'll keep saving my pennies and buy a X27.

If still in the market for a tool cheap, hit the second hand stores/junkstores/pawn shops. I get a lot of my 'wooding' tools there.

the Fiskars are top-of-the-line tools and worth the money but that doesn't mean a cheap tool can't do the job - perhaps with a bit more effort but the end of the day will produce a pile of splits.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back