Advice on Road Trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cordless saw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a trailer to haul logs, deliver split firewood and float tractor to woodlot. The pickup just isn't cuttin it.

The picture is of a 6 ton, beavertail with stake pockets. It measures 16 ft x 80 inch Are wooden stake sides 5 ft high enough to hold load of wood?

Not QUITE sold on a dump trailer .....yet.

Any other suggestions are of course welcome.

I wouldn't trust a load of logs over the road w/ wooden stakes. Strong metal stakes in combo w/ chains and load binders. Sounds like you could possibly do better with a dump trailer w/ 3 foot metal sides, especially if you are delivering firewood.

Do you have a truck that will be able to haul such a thing w/ a full load on?

5' sides will be too tall for practical use. If you load it tight and stack to 5' high, you will have 20K-25K lbs. I suggest 2' or maybe 3' sides. Get a few sheets of 3/4" plywood and rip them lengthwise to make 2'X8' sheets, then nail them to your stakes. You will still be able to overload your trailer weightwise without spilling over the sides.

If you're going to haul logs then that trailer will be a pain.
Get one with the deck over the tires, and removable sideboards.
Sideboards tend to be a hassle when loading logs. Short metal steaks are much easier.
I highly recomend considering a dump trailer. Unloading logs by hand is very dangerous. Five years ago I was rolling logs off the side of my gooseneck, with a cant hook when one turned a little coming off, it only had a 6" top but it was big enough to shatter my left knee and tear my ACL in half. Yep a dump is highly recomended.

Andy

Thanks for advice

I was going with the five foot high for uses aside from wood, but I take the point ... thats alot of hardwood. Would definitely need a beefed up truck to haul that baby down the road. (Check out pic to see my current set of wheels). Two to three foot high sides is plenty for wood.

Have yet to find a dump that suits my needs but may well keep looking as my knees (and MOST other parts)work fine the way they are. No need(KNEED?) to mod them!!!!

I may make 2 sets. One with the shorter metal stakes for logs and another with stake sides.

Latest posts

Back