advice on wood/coal stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onenut

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up a Suburban Model FM9-77 Furnace Woodmaster
Its a addon woodstove. Its in great shape
the wood is loaded on the short side of the stove and the flue exists
thru the side (not the back of the stove) but when i look inside there is
nothing that stops the flames from going up the flue.
Do I need to add a flame baffle?
is the stove safe to burn in the way it is ?
I will take some pictures so I can explain
thanks

Here are some pictures of the stove on the one you can see what I was talking about, the flame can go straight up the flue
51.jpg

53.jpg

52.jpg

Last edited:
You bought that used?!?!?!

That looks to be in AWESOME shape! Did the previous owner have only ONE fire in it?

Regarding the flame shield... You know, It doesn't look like there was anything welded near the flue exit... can you find an owner's/intstaller's manual?

Classic engineering line:
"If all else fails, RTFM." Read The F:censored:ing Manual :)

Good luck and let us know how it burns!

well I had a fire in it last night, as the fire got up to speed you could watch some of the flames kind of shoot into the flue. I also still have to figure out how to use the damper on the front of the stove, I could watch the temp gauge on the flue raise and drop 200 deg's as the damper opened and closed.

Baffle?

Nice looking stove, I have a wood furnace that is my primary heat system. It has a baffle in front of the exit. The baffle is just sheet metal that is connected on the bottom side of the exit and curves up to just above the exit hole. If it's any help I can post a photo of the baffle for you.
I might suggest you be careful if burning coal. My stove grates were screwed up from burning coal. It will be wood only from now on.

Nice looking stove, I have a wood furnace that is my primary heat system. It has a baffle in front of the exit. The baffle is just sheet metal that is connected on the bottom side of the exit and curves up to just above the exit hole. If it's any help I can post a photo of the baffle for you.
I might suggest you be careful if burning coal. My stove grates were screwed up from burning coal. It will be wood only from now on.

If you can post a pic of the baffle that would be great....

Latest posts

Back