Adze

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find an Adze for a half decent price? I made a bridge from logs not to long ago and I was thinking of flattening the tops of the logs. Anything I've found onlin eis eaither 100years old or $200.

Thanks

Anyone know where I can find an Adze for a half decent price? I made a bridge from logs not to long ago and I was thinking of flattening the tops of the logs. Anything I've found onlin eis eaither 100years old or $200.

Thanks

There is nothing wrong with 100 years old... I have 2 that are at least that old and work wonderfully....

Most newer adzes are for wood carvers and are precission tools. What you need is a timber framing adze. Check Woodcraft (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyId=251). They have a good selection of general and timber framing wood working tools.

Adze TJ-Bill

Hi TJ
I have purchased many items from Lee Valley,in general they are usually top quality.Most of their axes and the like come from Sweden, I think.Plus they have a three month return policy.Also try searching log home tool suppliers on the web.

Too bad you weren't closer ...I have a couple of old ones in my antique tool collection .
Check garage sales esp. rural ones .

My father gave me a side adze some years ago. I had it in the woods to try it out and leaned it against a telephone pole - and forgot about it. A couple weeks later I remembered it and went back. It had all but blended in with pole. I almost couldn't tell my adze from a pole in the ground!

My father gave me a side adze some years ago. I had it in the woods to try it out and leaned it against a telephone pole - and forgot about it. A couple weeks later I remembered it and went back. It had all but blended in with pole. I almost couldn't tell my adze from a pole in the ground!

My neighbor, who had been drinking, had set his old adze down in a field full of tall grass and started crawling around, just searching. He couldn't find his adze with both hands since he was so buzzed. So, being the nice guy that I am, I went to help him look.

"There it is!", I hollered.

"Where?", he shouted back.

"Behind you!"

He was so relieved to find that he had not lost his adze after all. He had become emotionally attached to it after many years of ownership. From then on he was more careful when ever he set his adze down. We seldom speak of the day I helped save his adze.

:D

These guys could give you a hand.
attachment.php

You mean like this? The back side is flat. I was told this is a Side Adze. I think it's pretty old.

Similar but the head usually isn't that 'long'. That looks like a real antique. If ithas makers marks on it, you could have a real collector item with value. In addition to the flat side, the handle is also 'crooked' off to keep the hands free from the log.

Harry K

Back