After a weekend full of moving rounds...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuzzy

Trail Gnome
Reaction score
...my back was HATING me!! :buttkick:

Apparently I lost all firewood core strength over the summer. This is really tragic (for my psyche) considering I won't even hit 30 until later this year :bang: :laugh: I spent all Sunday night on a heating pad! Apparently this is a sign from the firewood gods that I shouldn't take such long breaks in between firewood related activities...

40 now, well soon. This is one of the reasons I bought a bgger say with a 24inch bar. Noodling is your friend, hack it down until you can pick it up without seeing dead people.
:rock:

at 50+ i have found pre treating with aleve and gatorade and rollin those big rounds to the loglift is workin smart not hard [well its still hard work ,but not as bad lol ] jk

Getting old sucks.Just keep trying to think of new way to do things smarter.I got one of those role around work seats for christmas that I use at work.One of my favorite tools that I even use when a truck is on the lift just lower it down so I can sit while I work.

42 this fall.. I feel your pain. plus adding a few nasty quad wrecks.. My body feels like its 80.. My ole man can run circles around me.. :dizzy: but you learn to do the things you can and say piss on the stuff you can't...

Here I thought I'd at least be alright since I did so much biking this summer (in a fairly aggressive geometry). Apparently leaning over for hours on end logging miles in NO WAY translates to firewood. :laugh: Seriously though, I'm sure I'll get my form back somewhat; it's just the getting there that sucks!

Advil and beer,
Advil and beer,
both make me happy,
when the day end is near.

Another 40+er here. Yes, it only gets much worse. My back is fine, as are my upper body - it's my knees that don't work so well. Ladders are a real pain, and there's a lot of general creaking when I get out of bed in the mornings (and I'm not always talking about the bed springs, either!) :blob2::laugh:;)

Still, I'm glad to hear that other 40 YO's are also suffering geezeritis. My wife thinks I'm ageing badly, but then most of the people my age have office jobs, and so don't experience any good physical pain.

Don't sweat it Nuzz. You'll break in quick, if ya get right back at it after a day or two. You aren't the only one.LOL!!

Just got done with lifting/stacking 40lb lugs for the last two months, and dangit if somehow chucking splits and rasslin' rounds is different. Whole different group of muscles and range of motion I guess.

Advil+1
And a tractor with a loader.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

heh , I'll be pushing 50 later this year instead of dragging 40. I figured out (to late) the big ones are easier handled in halves or quarters. Still get a good feeling at the end of the day though.

The next morning ? ehh the feeling fades a little. OK maybe its near gone till the splits hit the fire.

Aches and Pains

Let's see - I still cut, load and split my own firewood and I walk 3-miles every morning at sunrise.

I used to cut it myself and split it by hand when I was in my late 20's and 30's got to slowing up a little bit when I got into my 40's and late 50's.

By the time I got into my early 60's I decided to retire at 62. I started doing more wood cutting and was even feeling better yet. I am getting some arthritus in my hands but I turned 70 last July and I think I feel better and can cut longer than I did when I was in my 50's.

Just hang in there fellows.

Nosmo

None of us got anything on Harry...AKA Turnkey4099.
Just for the record I'll be 67 in a few days. All the posted aches and pains are the reason I built a hydraulic log lift for our splitter, it nevers goes verticle when I'm using it. An a pickeroon ain't real great for moving large rounds, imho....puts way too much strain on the lower back...again jmho

My pop gave up scrounging wood on his own at 83, switched over to a gas heater, sold his wood supply, but kept the splitter and saws. He used a riding mower sized tractor and a small two wheeled cart to get it out. Strong like bull he is.

I've another 40yrs to go.

Had the exact same thing happen to me a 30 or 31. Tossed firewood for 2 days straigt - ended up with a slipped disc. To this day I still struggle with it and nerve pain shooting down my leg. I ended up in physical therapy for some time and my core was in good shape when this happened.

Some non-professional advice if you get a disc issue:
1. Don't twist and throw at the same time, pivot on your heels
2. Stetch prior and post
3. Instead of heat, try ice
4. Lying flat on the floor, put the inside of our knees on the coffee table (legs@ 90°)

be careful, once a disc slips, it's much easier for it to slip again.

Good luck

Back