After many, many years of heating with wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trek5900

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am still amazed by how little wood I need to use to heat my 1800 square feet home when the temperature rises to the mid 30's. I am using an older fireplace insert located in one end of a ranch style home. It keeps the whole house warm, the furnace hasn't ran since the temperature got back up above 30F.

Here in Southern Indiana the temps have risen to the mid 30's at night and around 45 during the day. This is after they had been at zero at night and into the teens during the day.

When the temp drops below 20 the electric furnace runs way too much.

I know many of you in the more northern states and Canada are still having it much worse.
Hope you have plenty of wood left.

Expect the best.

when it gets above 30 here, i usually let the fires die out for several hours. if i don't the house gets to like 90......

Same here. When temps are single digits, it gets kinda chilly in the couple rooms farthest away from the kitchen, where our stove is. Anywhere near 32 degrees and its easy to sweat myself right out of the house if don't let the stove die right down a couple times a day. :chainsaw:

I have a 1557m furnace and days like today, I usually just throw one big friggin log in just to keep some hot coals... doesn't put out enough heat to kick on the blowers, but makes it nice at night so I'm not doing a cold-start every night... guess I'm just lazy lol. and seeing as to how I have no other heat source at all, I like to keep the box warm so that at night when the temps drop back down, I don't have to fight with it to get 'er hot enough to load up for the night.

Latest posts

Back