After Market, Sprocket Cover with Brake for Husqvarna 61, Won't ,Fit/Work right ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDRock

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just got the saw a couple weeks ago ,brake was removed, the cover is there.
I bought this After Market, Sprocket Cover with Brake for my Husqvarna 61, but It is very very hard to pull back ,then after it's pulled back( disengage brake) and it's on my Husqvarna model 61 ,the brake handle is to close to the saw handle.

I don't know what the deal is ,I bought it here on eBay ( Clutch Sprocket Side Cover Fits Husqvarna 268 272 266 61 66XP New | eBay ) the seller said I could return it for a refund, he doesn't have any more.

I guess if I want a brake ,I will have to get one from baileys
Bailey's - Sprocket Cover with Brake for Husqvarna 61, 66 266 268 272

What I am wondering is, if the one from baileys is going to work ??
Has any one had a problem like this ? my saw had the metal brake handle originally but, I thought this would fit and work !
Maybe the one I got is just screwed up IDK. I Don't have much experience with different chainsaws.

Any Input would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
my saw had the metal brake handle originally but, I thought this would fit and work !
Maybe the one I got is just screwed up IDK. I Don't have much experience with different chainsaws.

Any Input would be greatly appreciated

I think the metal brake handle style covers are different than either one in the links you provided.

I think the metal brake handle style covers are different than either one in the links you provided.

Yes the covers are different, cuz the handles are different , but from what I understand when U replace the whole thing ,cover with handle ,it will fit and work, Or is that WRONG ????

my 272 with the metal chainbrake handle is also too close to the handgrip, I remember seeing a post a while back on adjusting it, but I cannot use the AM cover as mine is full wrap.

I'm in the middle of a rebuild of my dad's old standby 61. It's looking like the project is going to be too much to justify rebuilding despite his somewhat nostalgic feelings about the saw (needs crank/rod, bearings, seals, ignition module, carb kit... etc.). It has a good side cover with brake and metal handle. He said he'd be willing to sell it. Let me know if it turns out you need the older original style cover with metal handle brake.

I also have a 272xp with the plastic brake handle but I can't try fitting it to the 61 because the 61 is all stripped down. I can look at the covers side by side though and see if I see any reasons they won't interchange.

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of a rebuild of my dad's old standby 61. It's looking like the project is going to be too much to justify rebuilding despite his somewhat nostalgic feelings about the saw (needs crank/rod, bearings, seals, ignition module, carb kit... etc.). It has a good side cover with brake and metal handle. He said he'd be willing to sell it. Let me know if it turns out you need the older original style cover with metal handle brake.

I also have a 272xp with the plastic brake handle but I can't try fitting it to the 61 because the 61 is all stripped down. I can look at the covers side by side though and see if I see any reasons they won't interchange.

That's cool
If your sure you want to part with it, I my do that,.
It so happens ! I have wanted adds a couple of other places for one of the older ones, but no add on this site.
I will let you know , soon
If you would look at the covers side by side and see ,that would be fantastic :msp_biggrin:

stihlavarna : This is probably a dumb question but , what it a full wrap cuz IDK :msp_unsure:

When I said, the brake handle is to close to the saw handle, I mean it's like 1/2 to 3/4 inch away

Mine is like that too, I'm also wondering if that's normal.

I'm confused , how can U use the saw with the brake handle that close ?
The back of my fingers were against the brake bar while holding the saw handle, with that cover and brake.

Last edited:
Howdy,
I have just looked through some service bulletins on this subject a couple weeks ago, and going from the metal handle style to the plastic handle style is ok as long as you replace the whole unit. There are 2 different handles. One for the half wrap, and one for the full wrap.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
I have just looked through some service bulletins on this subject a couple weeks ago, and going from the metal handle style to the plastic handle style is ok as long as you replace the whole unit. There are 2 different handles. One for the half wrap, and one for the full wrap.
Regards
Gregg

Is this a full wrap handle or half wrap

The brake handle too close issue is very common on these later brakes. It happens when they are assembled improperly. The spring that slides up inside the flag is in the wrong spot. Being aftermarket, I don't doubt it was assembled wrong when you got it. Take the flag off, and assemble it properly. I cannot describe how it is supposed to go, but it is not hard to figure out. I have seen at least a dozen of these like that. In cases where they have been run alot that way, the spring and/or flag may have to be replaced.

This is a full wrap

575XP.jpg

The brake handle too close issue is very common on these later brakes. It happens when they are assembled improperly. The spring that slides up inside the flag is in the wrong spot. Being aftermarket, I don't doubt it was assembled wrong when you got it. Take the flag off, and assemble it properly. I cannot describe how it is supposed to go, but it is not hard to figure out. I have seen at least a dozen of these like that. In cases where they have been run alot that way, the spring and/or flag may have to be replaced.

That is handy info right there, and sounds like the voice of experience.

Thanks.

I did take it apart after trying it out, to see if I could see something wrong, before and had a feeling that spring was not right, that spring didn't look like it was doing any thing ,the spring was stuck way up in the handle , I just took it apart again, and I pulled the spring out, but I don't see where it is suppose to go :msp_confused:

In the last 2 pics , which way does it go, or does it go some other way ???

Thanks Saw Dr

OK !! I fixed it, BUT, the only time It would be in use is if I had a kick back, cuz It's so hard to pull back, disengage, that putting on the brake and walking around with the saw running would not be practical.
Put another way it would be a PITA.
I still may get the used OEM from ,514mach1

514mach1: sending U a PM

Last edited:
It is still together wrong then. Set the brake and then take the flag handle off. THe little end of the spring goes in front of the black metal pivot bracket if I remember correctly. I have not done one in a while. It works best to take the spring cover off and get the mechanism right, then compress the spring on the back end. Do not let the spring scare you. Just use safety glasses. Once you have the linkage put together right, trip the brake and that will make compressing the spring alot easier.

That, or send it to me and I'll put it together for you.

It is still together wrong then. Set the brake and then take the flag handle off. THe little end of the spring goes in front of the black metal pivot bracket if I remember correctly. I have not done one in a while. It works best to take the spring cover off and get the mechanism right, then compress the spring on the back end. Do not let the spring scare you. Just use safety glasses. Once you have the linkage put together right, trip the brake and that will make compressing the spring alot easier.

That, or send it to me and I'll put it together for you.
I'm not sure exactly sure what U mean, is the linkage, NOT, put together right??

I did have the big spring out once, but put it back in before, I put the flag back on.

Which is the little end of the spring, the one with the curl on it or the end with just a bend ??

So !! I will try taking the big spring out ( the one under the black cover with four screws in it) and then putting the flag on , and see how it functions.

Does the pin W the c clip (when inserted through the flag) go under or over the, forked/ two prong, spring deal on the front ??? I had it over.

I was thinking of taking it to a local saw shop, but is this common enough, so they would know how to get it right ???

Latest posts

Back