After The Glory Is Completed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have ANY problem with womans Basketball especially Ms.Summits teams,I actually prefer the womans game to the mens at the college level.And like I said get a big barrel fan and a Honda generator.

No. It doesn't hurt if a few piles don't burn. Wildlife uses them. When you have to buy expensive equipment it makes leaving the pile more economical. I can't imagine lugging a generator around on a hillside side to get slash burned. Is that what you do?

The secret to a good pile starts with the piler. Fines and small stuff on the bottom bigger stuff on top. Compact the pile. Then cover PART of it and let that get dry. The whole pile doesn't have to be dry, just a core area to get going and heated up. If one wants to be neat, one returns a couple of times and "chunks" the pile. We do that by hand, but a cat could be used on the flatter ground. Chunking is pushing or throwing in the unburned chunks on the outside edges. Piles burn hot in the center but the outer edges usually don't get hot enough for a clean burn.

She didn't think those piles would burn, but with our dry spell, was trying. When I went by on Sunday, she had one of the stubborn ones going good.

I do a lot of this as I own a farm.The stuff in the woodlot, wetlands and pastures does get piled for habitat.The crop field border cleanup are another matter.You have a bunch of stuff(rotten limbs,stumps, branches) that has to go.Your pile building statement is correct one the best firestarters I've found are old paper feed sacks.Because of fire hazard I usually build my piles in a way that sheds water and keeps the core dry, wait for a rainy day after a dry spell and have never had an issue.Expensive equipment,I have big barrel fans on hand to cool livestock in the summer and just about everyone I know has a generator for emergency power.On the other hand on some bigger burns I had a dozer sitting there idleing or a farm tractor with a back blade.I don't live in an area with a high forest fire risk but it does happen.Usually grass and leaf fires that never touches the timber, burns itself out and gets you a brow beating from the local volunteer fire heros(of which my son is one) a situation I'd rather avoid(nothing flusterates them more than a fire they aren't invited to).

And then maybe you get to be the lead story on the 5 o'clock news..."Large explosion obliterates residence.....".
Meh... I've been blown up before, and the house is insured...

The aluminium dust mix thing is for sale commercially over the counter as Tannerite, although mixing your own isn't real difficult, finding aluminium dust can be problematic though.

For starting difficult brush piles ecologically... (yeah right...) I'll sometimes bring a pile of nice and dry fire wood and light that, builds up a nice bed of coals real quick, then you can burn damn near anything on there.

The aluminium dust mix thing is for sale commercially over the counter as Tannerite, although mixing your own isn't real difficult, finding aluminium dust can be problematic though.

For starting difficult brush piles ecologically... (yeah right...) I'll sometimes bring a pile of nice and dry fire wood and light that, builds up a nice bed of coals real quick, then you can burn damn near anything on there.

That's my method but I got tired of being in the rain today and didn't keep it going. Mmmm, it'll have that donut shape. Alas, no bakery near here.

Patty, sorry I didn't mean to derail your thread I was just reminiscing about a simpler and more carefree time in my life.

I wish I had a secret to burning old damp piles but I don't. The last one I tried resulted in a berating by a sheriff deputy on how stupid I and the State Forester who gave me a permit were. The deputy had been called by a concerned citizen who thought my pile was unattended and had attempted to put out my dying and smothering fire with my remaining diesel fuel. Said citizen didn't know I was 50 yards away watching him. Nor did he know that nothing less than 1000 gallons of diesel would have sustained it long enough to possibly dry the pile. That was 4 or 5 years ago. The pile is still there slowly rotting. Ron

We did a bunch of storm damage work on some big property up in the mountains few years ago, hundreds of good size trees, up to about 7' DBH came down and the owner elected to burn the brush rather than pay to have it chipped. He had a couple tractors and an excavator which he owned, so he used those to pile the brush. The logs got taken off for free by a local firewood contractor who came with his truck and got loaded by the excavator. When he told me he was going to burn it all green I thought he was mad, but he got it started with plenty of liquid encouragement and once it was started he fed it daily and had the pile on the burn for about 2 months. Once it gets hot enough, it will burn everything. If green couldn't be burnt then we wouldn't have forest fires.

We did a bunch of storm damage work on some big property up in the mountains few years ago, hundreds of good size trees, up to about 7' DBH came down and the owner elected to burn the brush rather than pay to have it chipped. He had a couple tractors and an excavator which he owned, so he used those to pile the brush. The logs got taken off for free by a local firewood contractor who came with his truck and got loaded by the excavator. When he told me he was going to burn it all green I thought he was mad, but he got it started with plenty of liquid encouragement and once it was started he fed it daily and had the pile on the burn for about 2 months. Once it gets hot enough, it will burn everything. If green couldn't be burnt then we wouldn't have forest fires.

Yup. Green just takes more "tending" to. With big piles, even in the rain, you'll have coals on the bottom and can keep on chunking the pile in and it'll all burn.

There's a unit above me they finished logging in August or so.

They started burning piles last night, which when your not expecting the mountain above you to have big orange eyes starring back at you... can be just a little bit startling.

Well at least I hope its a slash pile...

There's a unit above me they finished logging in August or so.

They started burning piles last night, which when your not expecting the mountain above you to have big orange eyes starring back at you... can be just a little bit startling.

Well at least I hope its a slash pile...
Flashbacks

Aluminum powder is sold by paint suppliers as metal flake additive. You really want something to go pooof, use magnesium powder.
I used to tell the young guys on the fire line "if you can't start a fire you don't understand how to put it out".

Last edited:
magnesium huh? Not sure thats too wise... its not as stable as aluminium, especially in dust form...

Sulfuric acid and potassium chlorate...(don't be around when it starts) the original Molotov cocktails had 1 ounce of acid mixed with gasoline and diesel, with a piece of paper saturated with the potassium chlorate taped to the outside of a mason jar, wouldn't light until the bottle broke, much safer than the dumb ass rag in a coke bottle crap.

Oh come on guys...have ya never read "The Anarchist's Cookbook"? There is NOTHING you can't burn if you combine a gallon of gasoline with a couple pounds of styrofoam! Whoot!

disclaimer..if the feds are viewing this thread feel free to delete my post...LMAO

We used to call it polish napalm, when we were kids.

I don't think I have the security clearance to be reading this thread.:laugh:

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts

Back