After Work CL haul, this time with a gem......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roanoker494

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Was looking forward to having a day off work until the phone rang at 6am........ Ended up going in and working a 12 hour day. While on my first lunch break I was browsing my local CL when I came across a ad titled "chain saws $30 (Salem)" and read

"7 chain saws for 30.00 dont work

for sale as is 30.00"

So now I am thinking hmmmmmmmmmm....... Seven saws for $30 you say?? So I shot off a email asking for some details. Sure enough when I went back out on my second lunch there was a reply telling me I could come after 7pm today to see the saws but they had no real knowledge of the saws and no way to send me a picture. So again I am thinking hmmmmmmm.......... Do I feel like driving 80 miles round trip after pulling a 12 hour shift in the shop?? I had just about talked myself out of going when I realized that I had been in contact with this seller back in August in regards to these same saws. I can not remember exactly what happened but there was some reason that I had to abandon the sale. I got to thinking that I have heard people say "if you turn something loose and it comes back then it was meant to be"......... GOOD ENOUGH REASON FOR ME!! Shot out another email for a address and headed out right after work.

First the car starts to overheat so I have to run the AC to keep the cooling fan running, I have now figured out that the fan is not coming on with the engine temp and likely just needs a new temp sensor since the fan runs with the AC on. Then I get to the pickup site and my heart drops as I look over a pile of Homelite 150's, a rough Homelite XL and a electric Remington.......... The 150 on top looks like it will clean up well so I will make that one my project and part the others, plus there is a couple of nice looking cases. Seller says the electric saw works but sounds like it may have a bad bearing.

IMAG0175.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

Then I notice this little Craftsman/Poulan Micro, looks pretty good and seems to have decent compression.
IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

Now for those of you that are keeping count we have only seen 6 saws so far, so there must be one more around here somewhere.......... Maybe I can find it in this picture.........
IMAG0174.jpg

This needs to be bumped to page one.

Congrats :clap:, & you suck :jester:. There are some Jonsered guys around here that would trade their favorite dog for a good 590 topend, & the Craftsman/Poulan looks pretty clean.

Thought I would show ya'll a couple of them cleaned up. I invested the most time on the 590 taking it apart and cleaning it thoroughly, the other two just got a quick wipe down of the outside. Had to break out the real camera for these because my camera phone just was not doing the 590 justice.

100_3652.jpg

100_3653.jpg

100_3660.jpg

100_3655.jpg

100_3656.jpg

100_3657.jpg

This is the 150 I believe has the most potential and it was even purchased locally. I have never really been a big fan of these saws but this is the first time I have actually handled one, seems to be well built so maybe I have been underestimating them (much like I had with the little top handle Poulans).

100_3665.jpg

100_3666.jpg

100_3667.jpg

100_3669.jpg

100_3670.jpg

This needs to be bumped to page one.

Congrats :clap:, & you suck :jester:. There are some Jonsered guys around here that would trade their favorite dog for a good 590 topend, & the Craftsman/Poulan looks pretty clean.

I know......... That is why I am so happy. I didn't bother to mention it to the sellers but I would have paid three times the total price just for the 590........

You're just pokin' fun at that little micro I snagged last week, now aren't ya?:msp_biggrin:

You're on a roll, mang. Bet ya didn't even care about the radiator boiling over on the way back home!

:cheers:

Poge

The overheating did not seem to bother me quite a bad knowing there was a 590 in my trunk, though it wasn't until I got home that I knew it had a good top end and as of today I know it has good fire. Looks like I am in the market for a 490/590 air filter assembly and filter cover. I have found the cover NOS but the filter seems to be hiding a bit better, though I do have a couple of promising leads.

Here is a picture of the piston I took with my phone, there appears to be some scratches on the one side but I will not know exactly what is going on until I tear it apart. Looks to be a low hour saw because of the heavy machining marks on the piston.

attachment.php

Dug into the 590 and checked out the Micro this evening. Bad news is the Micro has a severely scored piston so I am going to put it in the classifieds for parts. The scratches on the 590 piston look to have been caused by carbon and you can barely feel them, so I am going to start sourcing parts. Only "major" setback is the crank bearings are rolling a little rough because of crud inside the case, going to try pulling the seals and flushing it out before I tear it all the way down.

Pile-O-590

IMAG0194.jpg

IMAG0196.jpg

Intake side is flawless with heavy machining marks
IMAG0198.jpg

Exhaust side
IMAG0197.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

Congrats on the 590. I should have any of the parts you need, just make a list. I have a couple 590's, I have one like yours with the un-cut jug, and one with a factory cut jug. From what I understand, the un-cut jugs are even less common.

IMAG0196.jpg

I don't know if it was your camera angle but your combustion chamber looks off centered and larger than the one I posted. If this is the case, it's a 45mm closed port Husky jug. Same casting as a 590 jug, just a larger comp. chamber and a little different timing numbers. Some people think that the closed port Husky jugs are the same as the 5000+ jugs, but that's the difference. Still good by all means.

So.... I have made my final decision on what to do with the top end off of the 590.

Going to use it to rebuild this beauty

100_2971.jpg

100_2972.jpg

I had forgotten I had this saw hiding out because of a fried piston. The saw already has new seals and a rebuilt fuel system, so all I need is a intake boot and impulse grommet to get this one running.

Latest posts

Back