Aftermarket 036 piston?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm Kid2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need a piston kit for a Stihl 036 Pro. It seems like most of them on eBay are about $30. Are any of these better than others? Any seller that is better than the rest? Baileys has one for $30 also.

My local dealer wants $95 for a Stihl kit, which seems a bit steep.

Cheapchainsawparts has Stihl rings listed for $20 but no pistons. I'd rather have a $40 factory kit than a $30 aftermarket, but is that possible?

Thanks,
Mike

I need a piston kit for a Stihl 036 Pro. It seems like most of them on eBay are about $30. Are any of these better than others? Any seller that is better than the rest? Baileys has one for $30 also.

My local dealer wants $95 for a Stihl kit, which seems a bit steep.

Cheapchainsawparts has Stihl rings listed for $20 but no pistons. I'd rather have a $40 factory kit than a $30 aftermarket, but is that possible?

Thanks,
Mike

For a good aftermarket kit, look for Meteor piston kits listed by DLA engine parts. These are listed as a Meteor kit, but are actually Episans, but good quality. One drawback, they come from Greece, so be prepared to wait a while for them to arrive. Mine took 2 and a half weeks to show up, but I am pleased with the quality!

(These are on Ebay)

I considered that, but was hoping to get it quicker. I also thought that these might be Golf pistons? I read a post that they were not Meteor. Episan is a cut above the others on eBay?

Golf is drawn from the bottom of the junk heap..... anything Chinese (Taiwan is part of China) isn't much better...

So.....that means order from Europe and wait? I'm ok with that if there's a quality difference.

You may want to clarify that item #MPA PC1458B is for the 034 Super, 036, MS360 to avoid confusion.

Northwood Saw

I ordered the Meteor piston and rings from Northwood Saw: http://northwoodsaw.com/pistons.htm
It just arrived yesterday and looks like excellent quality. The gentleman I talked to was Sal. Everything was in stock and he shipped it out quickly. I can recommend them highly.

Glad to see Bailey's is going to start stocking them also.

Quick Note on Meteor Pistons,

Meteor offers different ring types on their pistons. We are getting our Meteor pistons with the Caber F-cast rings on larger displacement bores. They cost a bit more, but we think the quality will offset the price. Most of the Meteor pistons for Stihl come with standard cast rings.

Latest posts

Back