Aftermarket Parts.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffdingo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been bitten by the bug of rebuilding saws.

I was wondering what you guys thought or have experience with aftermarket parts - either Stihl or Husqvarna versions.

I have noticed a number of varying suppliers/manufacturers also *Bay all offering a number of replacement parts. Are there any particular favourites or ones to avoid?

My principle concern or rather question is regarding the longevity or durability of the main engine parts (piston, cylinder) versus the OEM versions.

Perhaps I have missed posts on this from earlier discussions, forgive me if this is so.
I appreciate your knowledgeable replies..

cheers

Through posts it seems like Meteor pistons have a good following for the price. Seems like most buy these pistons for replacement for oem. I hear good things about them. I think Iam going to buy one for my Husqvarna 266 from site sponsor Baileys.

I am curious about whether anyone has had any luck with them. I can imagine they are hit and miss with quality.

I will tell you this: I have been looking for bearings for a 372project, and have been looking on the bay. I sent a bunch of messages to guys who claim they had replacement bearings for the correct husqvarna part number (should be near identical) and they wanted $10 each (OEM is about $18). I asked what the complete serial number was (6202.......), about whether they are C3, and who/where they were manufactured. I got a couple of replies, and they generally had no idea. One guy said "It may be easier for you just let me know what you're looking for and I'll make sure it's the right thing". Another said "I really have no idea- but I'm pretty sure they're made in China. Hard to find anything not made in China now". I told the one guy what I wanted, and haven't heard back since (just said I wanted something oem quality).

I'm going to buy OEM bearings. I'm usually a very thrifty guy that likes a good deal- but it isn't a good deal if you pay half price for someting that only lasts half as long at best. Saws need to be reliable.

Through posts it seems like Meteor pistons have a good following for the price. Seems like most buy these pistons for replacement for oem. I hear good things about them. I think Iam going to buy one for my Husqvarna 266
from site sponsor Baileys.

Yeah meteor are pretty good- my last post was generally talking about those "no-name" aftermarket items. I can't trust something I don't know anything about. -they may be ok, but why chance it?

fire - have you tried a bearing house/ power transmission parts industrial supplier?
check Motion Industries they are a very large national chain they have a location in Boise, that one might be the closest

Last edited:
fire - have you tried a bearing house/ power transmission parts industrial supplier?
check Motion Industries they are a very large national chain they have a location in Boise, that one might be the closest

It's on my to-do list. I ended up finding a good quality set online for under $20 shipped and figured that's a fair deal (OEM Dolmar bearings that will fit the Husky!).

Next time I go to Boise I think I'll stop in at Motion Industries and see what they can do. Thanks for the tip.

I don't have experience with piston/cylinder aftermarket parts, but I can tell you that aftermarker electrical parts are junk. I have an 021 that had the plug spring break off of the plug wire, so I bought a coil and wire off of ebay from a guy who sells a lot of aftermarket parts, and it ran for about 13 months. Just long enough to get out of warranty. During that time, I didn't even use the saw that much. I ended up just taking the original Stihl plug spring, and stabbing it back through the factory wire and it has run well for the past 3 years. Go figure.

I am curious about whether anyone has had any luck with them. I can imagine they are hit and miss with quality.

I will tell you this: I have been looking for bearings for a 372project, and have been looking on the bay. I sent a bunch of messages to guys who claim they had replacement bearings for the correct husqvarna part number (should be near identical) and they wanted $10 each (OEM is about $18). I asked what the complete serial number was (6202.......), about whether they are C3, and who/where they were manufactured. I got a couple of replies, and they generally had no idea. One guy said "It may be easier for you just let me know what you're looking for and I'll make sure it's the right thing". Another said "I really have no idea- but I'm pretty sure they're made in China. Hard to find anything not made in China now". I told the one guy what I wanted, and haven't heard back since (just said I wanted something oem quality).

For those 6202 C3 the ones you buy at the bearing shop are the exact same dimensions the C3 is extended clearance BUT I am told by my local bearing shop that VG103 that is on there is not just for show it denotes a different inner race material and may have something to do with the rate at which it expands. This is what I was told by them and he called the bearing manufacturer distributor in this country. I know guys have used them on here but I am anal and want everything perfect so I buy OEM bearings. As for the meritor pistons I think they are great used one in my 55 seemed like a very well made piston I would have no problem using one in another saw. They are about the only after market engine component I will use.

I don't have experience with piston/cylinder aftermarket parts, but I can tell you that aftermarker electrical parts are junk. I have an 021 that had the plug spring break off of the plug wire, so I bought a coil and wire off of ebay from a guy who sells a lot of aftermarket parts, and it ran for about 13 months. Just long enough to get out of warranty. During that time, I didn't even use the saw that much. I ended up just taking the original Stihl plug spring, and stabbing it back through the factory wire and it has run well for the past 3 years. Go figure.

Agreed some things to keep in mind on the electrical parts most companies do not refund electrical parts so its best to stick with oem on the electrical components

Latest posts

Back