ailing dogwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Barcaskey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
a customer has two flowering dogwoods, believe they our are native dogwoods, planted side-by-side. one is in total decline, the other is showing the symtoms in the branches that touch the ailing one.

symtoms include spotted leaves, curlying leaves, blackened fruit.
what is it and what is my course of action.

dogwood2.jpg

dogwood1.jpg

dogwood3.jpg

Possibly anthractnose, I can't really tell by the pictures. The tree looks to be a Flowering Dogwood (Cornus florida), a native species to PA along with a dozen others :dizzy: .

Remove the declining tree and the debri from it burn or take away to the dump covered if possible.The problem could be one of many possibilities,lack of water from lawn competition,compacted soil,lawn chemicals sprayed on the lawn and absorbed by the roots could all have made the tree's weak and susceptible to disease ,and that looks like disease to me.Better pics mabey?Close up of the leaves and base of the tree?

I think sheshovels right but it does not look like anthracnsoe. scratch the bark of those dead branches; if brown it looks hopeless.

Looks like "fire blight", never dealt with it on a dogwood, all of our dogwoods here in N.E. FL are mostly dead or headed in that direction due to Anthracanose. Typical treatment requires removal of blighted branches and spray of strepomysin(sp?). Research "fire blight" with your tree type. I would do it for you but I'd have to bill you $250.00.
good luck!
Greg

Interesting you should say that Greg. I thought back to over at my parents other house, my dad had a bunch of dogwoods probably of that species he had planted, and from what I can remember, he lost a couple that looked just like that. Apparently that same problem is common here.

Latest posts

Back