air cleaner-cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark125

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 346 and find a shot of brake/parts cleaner works good cleaning the filter.I also have a 357xp but it has cloth type air cleaner.I wondered how everbody cleaned there's The manual tells you to clean in soapy water but that is a pain.The 346 has a plastic type screen so it seems it would be okay to clean to use the spray would the spray be okay on the 357?

For the flocked style filters (whats on your 357xp) I use compressed air to blow them out really well, but after about 2 or 3 times of blowing them out I pop them apart and spray it down with some degreaser (castrol super clean is what I use) and rinse out with garden hose. Repeat this till it comes clean.

Before I snap the filter back together I run a small bead of grease around where the filter mates together just to make sure it is good and sealed.
This way might be along the lines as being a "pain" for you but it sure beats a toasted saw! Or a doggy running saw at the very least.
Soapy water will also work well like the manual states.

Last edited:
I promptly change the flocked filters for the nylon screen type. Not sure what the screen is made of but I still have the original one on my Husky 50 that I bought new in 83/84. I don't know if it is really better but I like it better.

I cut a lot of dead trees so I prefer the flocked filters. I use soapy water and a sink hose, that seems to be the most effective for me.

warm soapy water like the book says is a waste of time,
wash em out in fuel(regular gasoline) either let air dry or blow them down,then straight back to work,i wash all my filters with petrol and don't have any issues whatsoever ,everthing from the flocked style to the pleated types get the same treatment

I've used brake cleaner too, works well but some plastics don't like it. Usually just blow from the inside out with air, sometimes carb cleaner first. It can stop crap getting in the carb if you set the choke first(not a problem on most stihls)

Back