Alaskan II and Husqvarna 181 went to town ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denis Gionet

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
View attachment 249694View attachment 249700View attachment 249702

From some 28" diameter 300 year old cedar trees, we now have over 320 board feet of cedar planks, most of which are between 10 and 14 inches wide. I might need it to build myself a doghouse to hide in, as the wife is less than content with my recent bout of CAD ....

Good work Denis!

Now go back outside and put a cover over your Safari, actuall you have lumber build a shed for it!

lol, the quads sleep under cover, this one doesn't have one yet. The planks are for the shed for the quads, but the sled will get a proper snowmobile cover/tarp. It'll snow soon enough up here, I'm sure it'll get plenty of use. I actually redid one wall of the shed the other day, with 7 or 8 of those planks, the ugly/crotch boards, which when screwed on the wall in sequence, look quite impressive. I'll post a pic of that wall later, didn't take one yet since the redo.

It's actually the big brother of a Safari, the Cheyenne, 503 long/wide track. Just bought a couple of weeks ago, from an estate yard sale. Prolly worth less than what I paid for it, but it'll pay for itself in smiles on the kids' faces this winter. And the MIL will surely flog the pee out of it, which will make us laugh for sure !

Nice whack of cedar there! Build her a hope chest or something else thoughtful and nice, she'll learn to appreciate the CAD:msp_rolleyes:

Nice whack of cedar there! Build her a hope chest or something else thoughtful and nice, she'll learn to appreciate the CAD:msp_rolleyes:

Actually if there's any left once I'm done with the shed, I'll see about running it through a planer and if the finish is nice, it might become a bunk in our 5th wheel.... we want to get the 2 kids in the same area to sleep (one's on the table, and the other on the couch). We've figured on building a bunk to go over the table for the 2nd kid, so we can enjoy the view of the lake from the couch and watch TV up there.

Good idea Murdock -- thanks for the tip !

Question about sprocket tip bars.

Does a sprocket-tip bar (one-piece) with the four rivets at the end have room in between the rivets for a bolt, and can you drill through that area ? I'm wanting to make up a quick, light and easy rig for milling little stuff that I don't need the Alaskan for. I don't want to poke holes in there if it's gonna bugger up the tip.

Question about sprocket tip bars.

Does a sprocket-tip bar (one-piece) with the four rivets at the end have room in between the rivets for a bolt, and can you drill through that area ? I'm wanting to make up a quick, light and easy rig for milling little stuff that I don't need the Alaskan for. I don't want to poke holes in there if it's gonna bugger up the tip.

Good question I was wondering thE same thing but didn't have the nerve to try it on a new tip

A neighbor at the lake had taken a coupla pics while I was milling the cedar, finally got copies of them ....

attachment.php

View attachment 295265

attachment.php

View attachment 295266

Never did make a 2nd bunk bed for the camper, bought something and made 'er fit. So that means I've got just about enough boards left for an 8' x 8' deck for the entrance of the camper ... :cool2:

I was going to say nice pic but for newbies sake I also have to say the minimum PPE I'd be wearing in that scenario is at least some eye protection. It's low risk stuff but about 3 ft from most CSM operators face is something doing 60 mph. It only takes one sliver of wood to fall onto that moving object and it could be hurled in the operators general direction. I reckon it's not worth even the low risk. I can't see any ear plugs on either operator, but I guess they could be tiny ones?

I was going to say nice pic but for newbies sake I also have to say the minimum PPE I'd be wearing in that scenario is at least some eye protection. It's low risk stuff but about 3 ft from most CSM operators face is something doing 60 mph. It only takes one sliver of wood to fall onto that moving object and it could be hurled in the operators general direction. I reckon it's not worth even the low risk. I can't see any ear plugs on either operator, but I guess they could be tiny ones?

No Bobl, they is all deaf look at the folk sitting around the table carrying on like they can not hear a thing :laugh:

What model saw are you using with your mill?

That saw was a borrowed Husqvarna 181 with an 18" bar. Plenty of snot for the softwood Cedar being milled. I'd be happy if I could find a 66 to 81cc saw just to mill with, we don't have any trees bigger than what you see above anyway. People don't believe in long bars up here, no big trees to drop.

Latest posts

Back