All Around Best Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't see anyone mention Walnut. I burn some Ash, but mainly Walnut. Got over 200 ft of it down on the ground at the timber, and it will be the bulk of the wood I sell next year.
I love the way walnut smells when it burns. I tend to cut it up short for the little stove upstairs. I have a lot of walnut trees, but they are strong and don't come down much. Unlike the oaks which have weak roots and the ashes that are dying from ash yellows, both of which fall all the time.

Maple ,oak,cherry,eucalyptus, orange,walnut these are all great,but don't ever try pepper tree it'll kick you out of your house!
Maple made it to the top of your list? Hard maple I suppose. And, it's hard to find it because it grows slowly. The annular rings are usually tight and very close together. I suspect that you have no locust trees now growing in Michigan? Seems hard to believe.

Maple made it to the top of your list? Hard maple I suppose. And, it's hard to find it because it grows slowly. The annular rings are usually tight and very close together. I suspect that you have no locust trees now growing in Michigan? Seems hard to believe.
There are black locust trees in MI, but darn few in the UP..
We used them for corner posts like we use hedge trees here.

Woodfavorites post: 5103768 said:
No order of favorits these are all good except peperits like burning pepper spray orange wood grows real slow too burns real hot they cut them all down in cal. For houses in the 60s,70s and 80s cal. Used to be the orange capital of the world. I'd like to try locust.

I cut very few living trees for firewood.

Most of what we burn is Red Oak.
We have more that 100 acres of woods to cut out of.
Red Oaks can always be found dead. Most of the time still standing.
Red Oak Splits well, and, once dry, burns well.
White Oak is my #2 fire wood. A bit more difficult to split, than Red Oak, but not bad.

I will pass on large, knotty, twisted Hickory. It is just too much work to split.
Smaller, Dead Hickory is different. It is better firewood that Oak.
We cut very little Gum or Elm. Those that we do cut do not need to be split
in order to be used.

We are blessed. Burning about three cords a year....
There is more firewood here than we could burn in 10 lifetimes.
And all of it is two miles or less from our home.

David

I cut very few living trees for firewood.

Most of what we burn is Red Oak.
We have more that 100 acres of woods to cut out of.
Red Oaks can always be found dead. Most of the time still standing.
Red Oak Splits well, and, once dry, burns well.
White Oak is my #2 fire wood. A bit more difficult to split, than Red Oak, but not bad.

I will pass on large, knotty, twisted Hickory. It is just too much work to split.
Smaller, Dead Hickory is different. It is better firewood that Oak.
We cut very little Gum or Elm. Those that we do cut do not need to be split
in order to be used.

We are blessed. Burning about three cords a year....
There is more firewood here than we could burn in 10 lifetimes.
And all of it is two miles or less from our home.

David
I may have to move to Alabama. But, the winters there are very warm compared to here. So, I harvest oak elm, ash, locust, mulberry, hackberry, and gasp! -- eastern cottonwood.

When I really need a quick, hot fire, I burn eastern cottonwood. Then I mix in whatever burns slowly. The combination of cottonwood with anything else will produce a fire that burns hotter than anything else.

OK.. I'll be over with the truck to get some shortly..
View attachment 388882

Hope you got a big porch.

I am pretty certain if that load right there showed up in my yard, I would be laying on top of that pile of Hedge Apple doing this imitation to the best of my ability.

95c6ebf20125401c3bbd98ba66a8739b_zps273a89db.jpg

I like oak, red or white. Or maple. I really like black cherry, too, although it splits kinda weird. Oh, and elm. Definitely elm, as long as you have a splitter because it's so stringy. And sycamore. I like that. Or pine, for the shoulder season or just starting a new fire. I like ash, too. Oh, and birch and locust, when I can get them.

If it splits, stacks, and lights, I burn it. If it's free, I burn every twig. If it's got beetles, I burn them, too.

I like oak, red or white. Or maple. I really like black cherry, too, although it splits kinda weird. Oh, and elm. Definitely elm, as long as you have a splitter because it's so stringy. And sycamore. I like that. Or pine, for the shoulder season or just starting a new fire. I like ash, too. Oh, and birch and locust, when I can get them.

If it splits, stacks, and lights, I burn it. If it's free, I burn every twig. If it's got beetles, I burn them, too.
Another "stringy elm complaint." Solution is simple. Cut into rounds and then wait until the bark falls off and the ends start to check up. Takes about 6 months Whenever I do this, most elm splits easier for me than most white ash. Another big elm shot:

Hmmm... might have been eastern cottonwood. It's been so long that I can't remember. Guess I'm losing it, What says the forum?

Another "stringy elm complaint." Solution is simple. Cut into rounds and then wait until the bark falls off and the ends start to check up. Takes about 6 months Whenever I do this, most elm splits easier for me than most white ash. Another big elm shot:

Hmmm... might have been eastern cottonwood. It's been so long that I can't remember. Guess I'm losing it, What says the forum?

No clue. But I thoroughly applaud your use of noodling. That's how you do it.:rock:

Back