All of a sudden no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got the part on order and after I swap them will post a picture. Simple as this likely is, I don't want to pull the old one off and forget a step for installing the new when it gets here.

been cleaning my husky 257 and now got it back together. Nothing too intense as far as cleaning but now she won't start. Pulled the plug and hooked it up to the spark wire and got no spark (yes it's grounded). I'll run out and get a new plug but is this the likely culprit?
i use a election card to set the coil \plugs rarely go bad \some times the spark plug wire gets pulled loose from the coil wire or someone could even pinch the switch wire (the hot one)

What did you clean the saw with? Any spray material? Could be wet in the w switch and shorting. I always disassemble my bad switches just to see if I can clean and salvage them.
You hear that squeak? That's me being so tight I squeak when I walk

Cripes. Now the starter on my other 257 is doing the same thing. Sparks in the off position and no spark in the on position. I've had a 257 for years and years and never had this happen (that saw died for other reasons), and now two much nicer ones both have this issue? The switch is not wet, it was not cleaned recently, I did not mess with it in any way or remove it, I did not move or adjust any wires leading to it. So, so strange.

I've got two new switches on order. Sigh.

This is too strange. Something is up. Take a real close look at your switch face. Is there any possiblity that you might be reading the "stop" function incorrectly. This very thing happened to me on a Husky once. I cranked my brother's 385xp till I was worn out only to discover I was mis-reading the switch and had it in the "stop" position instead of the "run" position. This would explain why both of your saws appear to have faulty switches that work backward.

This is too strange. Something is up. Take a real close look at your switch face. Is there any possiblity that you might be reading the "stop" function incorrectly. This very thing happened to me on a Husky once. I cranked my brother's 385xp till I was worn out only to discover I was mis-reading the switch and had it in the "stop" position instead of the "run" position. This would explain why both of your saws appear to have faulty switches that work backward.

Wait a second, are you suggesting I misread the start button? Well crap, that's exactly what happened!! Cripes. My button looks different from others and all of a sudden made me think the stop was toward the stop sign. Not sure why all of a sudden I suffered a mental defect. But to your point, it's pointing toward the other direction and I simply misread it. Ugh. So, thank you for your help. Total operator error. Pic below of mine, so maybe I'll get a little sympathy. Most other buttons have an opposite configuration that makes the mind think of pushing toward the stop sign (i.e. the stock photo below mine). Anyway, thanks again.

v6mc1d.jpg

vd0idf.jpg

From the pics, that is a great looking 257. Wish it was mine. you keep your saws clean...I like that. They run better;)

Thanks. It is a really nice one, but I bought it as such. Just a light cleaning and a new bar and chain. The 257 sticker on the pull cord is perfect. It's really got vivid color and is really slick looking. I'll take some more pics later.

More pics. No one asked, but I couldn't help myself.Bought it recently off hunter72. Replaced the plastic clutch cover with a used metal one, new, .325 bar/chain/sprocket set-up, and here she is. Now, if I could just figure out how to use that darn start/stop button. LOL

2eogw2e.jpg

20rla4h.jpg

ider9e.jpg

2qdps77.jpg

Latest posts

Back