Almost 500 2x6's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Van

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I finished this order yesterday, 480 mostly pine, some spruce 2x6's. Some 7 footers, mostly 8's though. A few dozen 12's & 14's too. Barn floor I believe. Somedays I'd do 50, some 20. One nice pine log had 31 of them in it. The average was about 20 though. They have to go through the planer once.
2X1.jpg
The first pic, that pile is about 10 ft tall.
2x2.jpg

Looking good. I love seeing stacks of lumber, I don't really know why. So how many hours do you think you have into it? Also do you have an idea of how many bf total there is? are they full dimention?

Nice Job!

I'm currently doing the same thing right now with beetle kill P. pine. I'm making 2x10's and 6/4 x 8's and some 8x8 post all for myself so I can build a very large deck around my house. We seem to have an unlimited supply of beetle trees around here anymore.

They are full 2x6, 480 all together. Fifty cents a bf or 1.00 a lf. I didn't keep track of hours spent, as I jump around jobs as I can. Things don't get boring that way. The nice logs, the ones that had 25 2x6's - I can do up one of those in an hour. The lousey logs take the most time. I'd try to get a 12x12 cant, then make some 2x12's off two faces, when it got to a 6x12, I'd turn it and cut 2x6's off. Then split the 2x12's, and edge the flitch's from the slab cuts. The pine is nice to handle, a lot nicer than oak. The beetle killed pine, does it have bug holes riddled through it?

I'm just curious as to how you stack it that high, and to why the 10 foot high stacks?

I'm just wondering if shorter stickered stacks are better with less exposure to the sun and the elements? Should the top sheet metal cover you have on there have more overhang or does it not make any difference?

I'm asking these seemingly stupid questions because I'm laying out an area for stickering stacks, and trying to figure out different ways on how I want to do this. Unless I'm complicating this way more than it has to be?

Thanks for posting the pics too!
Ted
attachment.php

Last edited:
Ted, I had the two level spots close to the mill & planer, thats the only reason. The 10 footer, as I sawed the 2x6's [the last 60 or so] I slid right on the back of my F350, then backed up to the stack & unloaded right on top. Any edges or ends that get a little wet from a wind blown rain will dry out just as fast. These won't be here long, and as a floor in a barn, it won't matter if there's a few water stains. Character, you know. I've found the depth of the stack to dry the least, some I made 6 ft wide years ago got somemold in the center, especially the sapwood. If I was drying some nice hardwood, I'd keep the stack 36 to 42 inches wide, at the most. As far as height, after 6 ft, it gets tough, but the ones down lower won't move for sure.

Back