almst died yesterday!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had a similar scare last week. was cutting an oak with a big long clean run till a gnarly notch about 40' up. all was well and she started to go just as planned. i backed away and stood behind a smaller white oak to watch the show. that notch tagged a maple and that's when things got interesting, naturally this is when i began my deer in the headlights reaction. one half of that top came sprining off that maple and shot right back towards me. when it landed i literally had branches from the top either side of me, thank gad for that oak i was standing behind. after my sphincter released i turned around and another 50' or so behind me was mamma staring at me wide-eyed with a who the hell did i marry look on her face.

When trees get hung up like that, you don't HAVE to do anything right this second. One book I have (Professional Timber Falling by Dent) says LEAVE IT!

So that is the thing to do. Mark off the area with danger tape or have someone stay there to warn people to stay away. Then go get equipment to safely down the tree. Maybe you have to call a tree service or rent a bucket truck... A much better option than death if you ask me.

But if you stop and think about a safe way to get the tree down... Maybe you could attach a very long cable (like 100 ft.) to the trunk of the tree, then safely pull it down with a winch, truck, tractor, etc.

In the navy they use balls like a baseball with a string attached to throw a line to shore. Then use that line to pull a larger line. Perhaps that method could be used to get a line to the top, then pull the tree down.

That is what the book above recommends. Use equipment to safely down the hung up tree rather than place yourself in danger.

Here is that book...
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=17309

Danger Tape (flagging)...
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=17532&catID=9726

had a similar scare last week. was cutting an oak with a big long clean run till a gnarly notch about 40' up. all was well and she started to go just as planned. i backed away and stood behind a smaller white oak to watch the show. that notch tagged a maple and that's when things got interesting, naturally this is when i began my deer in the headlights reaction. one half of that top came sprining off that maple and shot right back towards me. when it landed i literally had branches from the top either side of me, thank gad for that oak i was standing behind. after my sphincter released i turned around and another 50' or so behind me was mamma staring at me wide-eyed with a who the hell did i marry look on her face.

HAHAHAHA!!!! my wife is that way too. now she dont want me getting firewood by myself. Jeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz. I know alot can happen while in the woods, but going in the woods by myself, quiet, no one around is half the reason i go. its my therapy

In the navy they use balls like a baseball with a string attached to throw a line to shore. Then use that line to pull a larger line. Perhaps that method could be used to get a line to the top, then pull the tree down.

Personally, I would rather pull a tree from the bottom than the top as you have better control and it won't come back over on you. I just pull it enough to get it to settle on the ground so that I am not dragging the trunk on the ground and filling the bark with rocks and grit.

Very glad to hear you are OK!

I know some guys in the Forestry Forum love to bash it, but I can't recommend Game of Logging enough. A truly excellent series of classes, especially for those of us who don't cut professionally.

Personally, I would rather pull a tree from the bottom than the top as you have better control and it won't come back over on you. I just pull it enough to get it to settle on the ground so that I am not dragging the trunk on the ground and filling the bark with rocks and grit.

Amen to that... Nothin' ruins a day like cutting a tree up with dirt and rocks jammed into the bark...:bang: I've found the loader tractor to be priceless when trying to get hung trees on the ground and out in the open.

Amen to that... Nothin' ruins a day like cutting a tree up with dirt and rocks jammed into the bark...:bang: I've found the loader tractor to be priceless when trying to get hung trees on the ground and out in the open.

Any tractor (almost) is better than none in that situation. I've put an old 1963 Massey 165 in A LOT of predicaments that I'll bet the engineers never imagined it being in. Just think slow and act fast, also think 3 times, before cutting once. There aren't a lot of situations that can't be solved with a cool head, careful analysis and an honest prayer. (ok, no more religious talk outta me).

I dropped a half dozen dead white oaks a few weeks back and got some strong reminders about branches under tension. They can do really weird things when you start limbing, roll the trunk, snap back in weird directions etc.

Large hardwoods are almost as dangerous on the ground as they are in the air.

The good news is that if you just take a few seconds to look at the whole situation you can usually make it a safe job.

I set my dignity aside and stay ready to drop the saw and run - might not look cool scrambling away from a disaster, but you REALLY don't look cool when you get thrown through the air by a tree.

Any tractor (almost) is better than none in that situation. I've put an old 1963 Massey 165 in A LOT of predicaments that I'll bet the engineers never imagined it being in. Just think slow and act fast, also think 3 times, before cutting once. There aren't a lot of situations that can't be solved with a cool head, careful analysis and an honest prayer. (ok, no more religious talk outta me).

Yup... Ever find your self just standing in front of a big oak or hedge blowdown for 15 minutes playing through every possible "HORRIBLE" scenario? :laugh:

Latest posts

Back