Alpine Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghoffman105

Reaction score
Have to say I am new to Stump Removal and a First Time Poster. Have been lurking for some time now.

I recently purchased an Alpine Magnum and I was looking for a little advice. I mainly will be doing jobs for my buddy, who has a Lawn Maintenance business. So most of the jobs I would say are smaller. I chose an Alpine because of it's portability; no need for a trailer, winch, ramps ect.

Today was my first grind. Sorry no Pics. The soil was rocky at best. Three stumps were removed, a 22" Oak (freshly cut), and two others not sure of species but were 14" and a 25" with some root chasing. I was on site for 2 hrs (not steady grinding) went through about 1 gallon of gas and the teeth are probably shot (I have a great set of trenching teeth now). Basically by buddy subbed it out to me for $250.00. Figuring $50 for teeth, $10 for gas (including truck to drive to location) I cleared $190.

Here are my few Questions:

1. Are there any tips/tricks to using the Alpine? - I had a little difficulty seeing my work. Should I stand more to the left of the machine instead of over top? I could feel the suction of the motor when doing that. Is that a problem if blocked with my body/shirt? When pulling through the stump the leg slipped through the dirt had to repositioned alot more often than I wanted.

2. Is it more benificial to have the pivot axis of the machine mounted at the Highest Position or the Lowest Position on the leg? What is the difference?

3. Suggestions for pricing out jobs?

Feedback/Criticism/Suggestions would be well apprechiated.

Congrats on your Alpine purchase, i bought one a year ago and very happy I did.First of all, stand to the left of the machine and cut at full RPM and with the front portion or 9o'clock on the cutter wheel doing the cutting, this also stops most of the leg slippage.Second, a lot of stumps require a little digging to remove rocks. This will save your teeth and speed your cutting, which is ideal. Teeth should be changed as soon as force is being used to cut, cuts should be smooth and fast. Also I have teeth with about 10 to 15 sharpenings, so they do last if changed frequently. Finally, cost. I think this depends totally on market. In my community we have long winters, and short summers, so people are willing to pay a little more to have work done quickly. In my area I charge $6 per inch on the diameter, and give discounts on quantity. If I could swing I could probably do just this the money is fantastic, but it also is dirty, hard work, which i also like. So that in a nutshell is all i know, About stump grinding of course.

I've read similar posts about the teeth being trashed after a couple of stumps. I'm considering one of these machines, but wondering why such a high rate of tooth destruction. Are the teeth carbide tipped? Or is it because the teeth are rotating at a much faster speed than on traditional stumpers? Even at only 40 or 50 bucks a set, still eats into profit if you have to replace after only a few stumps. Otherwise, do the machines seem to hold up?
Stumper63

Machines hold up great, same as a chainsaw. I bought 6 or 7 sets of teeth when i got started and still have most of them and i think i replaced two sets. so teeth are not a huge issue if you are careful and sharpen regularely

Back