Alright Mac fans this one is for you

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoss

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just finished rebuilding a mac super 44a. I need to adjust the timing just a bit, but had it running today. Anyway my question is, how do I distinguish between the super 44(80cc with a timming adjustment) and the super 44a(87cc go-kart motor fixed timing)? On Acres site they look almost the same ecxept for a muffler cover. Mine does not have the muffler cover but does say S44A-55 on the crankcase. I just want to be sure if I will need to adjust timing or just points. I like this saw and don't want to blow it now that it is all together. Thanks guys for any help.

Al Smith

Al Smith

Addicted to ArboristSite
Now get this,direct from the owners manual.You set the points with the celophane from a cigarette pack. Sounds odd but that's what it says.

Most Macs are set at 18 thou but that saw has the push rod deal on the upper cover so maybe that's what's different.

PES+

Addicted to ArboristSite
A question

Al might it be possible that you are mistaking the procedure for setting timing without a light?

That is what the cigarette cellophane was used for that I recall.

Setting point gap at .001 to .002 won't get you too far.

Al Smith

Al Smith

Addicted to ArboristSite
Al might it be possible that you are mistaking the procedure for setting timing without a light?

That is what the cigarette cellophane was used for that I recall.

Setting point gap at .001 to .002 won't get you too far.
I never have seen anybody set a saw timing with a light,other than maybe an ohm meter to determine when the points open.

The standard proceedure on most Macs is to set the points at 18 thou which will give you 26 degrees advance.

The 44 series is unique in the fact the adjustment can be done without removing the flywheel,kind of handy.Perhaps other older Macs had the same type thing but I don't know.

Also one must remember that setting the points heavy will cause the timing to advance slightly.I would assume that because of the push rod gizmo that the air gap is not exactly in direct ratio with the actual gap if it where measured at the crankshaft.

As I said before that procceedure may sound bogus but it did in fact come from a McCulloch publication,page 18,publication #55044 dated Sept 1957 covering the super 44.The Super 44A is similar .

You could try 18 thou at the cam adjustment but likey it would be too much advance.That being the case that 87 cc engine will attempt to seperate your arm from your shoulder because they can kick back like a mule.

PES+

Addicted to ArboristSite
You are younger than I thought Al

Look up in any of your MAC publications about "Your Shop"
"General Tools and Equipment"
You will find a listing
"Timing light (continuity type)"

All the way up to the 90s VOM meters were VERY expensive.

Al Smith

Al Smith

Addicted to ArboristSite
Look up in any of your MAC publications about "Your Shop"
"General Tools and Equipment"
You will find a listing
"Timing light (continuity type)"

All the way up to the 90s VOM meters were VERY expensive.
Well,there are different ways of skinning a cat.Head first,tail first ,take your pick,they all work.

Yes indeedy I did see the method of using a continiutity light to static time the points.I might point out that this is exactly the same method used on any other points type engine.

The only time I ever used a tester is when attempting to "maverick" a few more degrees of advance from a 10 series .There is a fine line between getting fire and not when you push the edge of the timing using that method.You have to open the points real close to the max collapsing of the field of the coil.I figured about the most I could gain is about 3 degrees.Those three degrees though made a world of difference when the saw was put in the wood.Too much though makes them a bear to get started.

PES+

Addicted to ArboristSite
Key Words Al

USING THE PIN

If you use the pin the point cam lobe is NOT at the top of it's travel.

You can set the points using the standard method by finding the top of the cam lobe.

The point gap at the top of the lobe is .018 @ the points.

PES+

Addicted to ArboristSite
It wasn't winning

It was clarification for the user.

I doubt he understood the factory method of using the pin in the hole and was trying to make him understand that the gap is not that narrow at top of the lobe.

I have seen some 44s that had flywheels without the timing hole so they have to be set from the top of the lobe....no other way