Altec 12" V8 Gas Chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Russell

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have not seen chipper yet. Have talked with owner. Has replaced bearings in tub. Has two sets spare knives. Runs good. Is not a self feed.Largest limb chipped has been 6". Price $900.00. Color blue. He called the chipper by a different name but that it was a Altec.

I need good sound advice and opinion's of members. To buy or not too buy! I can not find Altec V8 chipper only 6Cly's. Have never used a chipper small or large.

I plan on using to chipper chip up dry wood. Tearing down frame ( stick ) house. Give me the Why's and why not

JR

You need to re-think. Throwing demolition debris into a drum chipper is dangerous.

The unit was probably built by Asplundh. Drum chippers are fast but a bit dangerous if you are not used to them.

Altec Chipper

You need to re-think. Throwing demolition debris into a drum chipper is dangerous.

The unit was probably built by Asplundh. Drum chippers are fast but a bit dangerous if you are not used to them.

Good advice. Thank's

Would you buy it at asking price??

i think you might get better answers in the large equipment section, don't think many of the chainsaw heads will be able to help you out

Altec V8 Gas Chipper

i think you might get better answers in the large equipment section, don't think many of the chainsaw heads will be able to help you out

I considered doing that at first. But this chain saw section is read by most all members and a large number of them have heavy equipment.

I will give this post a little more time to see if I can get the information or opinion about the chipper. If not Heavy Equipment it will be.

Thank's

JR

I had a 16" with a 330 Ford V-8. It was a little tough to get rolling but was a decent unit. I then had a 12" Asplundh with the Ford 6 cyl. If you do not take the chipper at $900 please pass his name on to me. I would be intersted in it.

Thanks,
Bill

Good advice. Thank's

Would you buy it at asking price??

Plenty of experience here. I owned and operated a Drum Bandit 1690 with a Ford 300-6 in it. $900? If it will run and chip it is worth it, but only for trees, not demo debris. You need a pallet chipper for that.

yep your nuts to put that crap in a drum chipper tom trees:dizzy:

Any wood chipper wont like the nails, unless you plan on pulling every single one of them out of each piece of wood that you run through it. I think its just asking for trouble, rent a dumpster. Im guessing this is a "chuck and duck" style chipper, no hydro feed rollers? These feed very fast, and will rip the wood right outa your hands...God forbit you leave one nail in a 2x4 and it comes in contact with your skin as that piece is getting sucked through, your gonna have a nasty gash! They are also known to spit back at you, pieces of chips and wood hurt enough, a nail or metal could be lethal!

Metal Blades

Nails and other metal would be real bad with a chuck and duck chipper. The blades are hardened steel and can explode apart just like the old thing about hitting two hardened hammer faces together.

Altec chipper

The advice and opinion's posted by members is Great, As I stated in post using a chipper was new to me. Every post was something -I Did Not Know. This is a learning class for me. And appreciated

Thank's

JR

You definitely dont want to put any hardened (or soft for that matter) steel through the chipper. It might work well on a hard headed wife however.

Latest posts

Back