Alternative wood cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know, I figured this thread would settle down when someone started to post pics of electric and/or battery powered chainsaws. Heck, they are chainsaws after all. ;)

Well, yes, it did. I just wonder how it lost sticky status..oh well.

Perhaps now that it is after the holiday binge buying season, some more guys might want to post up any "alternative cutting" stuff they might have gotten.

Traditional Tools

A couple years ago I asked the moderator if they would consider a Traditional Tools forum, as hand logging discussions on crosscut saws and axes pop up from time to time and don't really fit the competitive Timbersport arena.
attachment.php

Way cool!

A couple years ago I asked the moderator if they would consider a Traditional Tools forum, as hand logging discussions on crosscut saws and axes pop up from time to time and don't really fit the competitive Timbersport arena.

Thanks so much for helping to keep this thread alive. It is a very interesting subject for sure, at least for some folks. I wish it had stayed a "sticky", too.

What are you cutting there, and how many cords did you wind up with? And the saw story, any history to it?

That's an ancient oak that fell across a wilderness trail in Shenandoah National Park. Possibly a white oak, as it was solid throughout and didn't have that funky red oak smell. I was just removing a plug big enough to make the trail passable.

Saw belonged to my wife's grandfather who used it to clear the land for a cabin in Northern Michigan back in 1946. It's a 6' Disston champion tooth. I studied up on how to file crosscut saws and made a real cutter out if it.

Latest posts

Back