Am I in the Tropics; What are these Worms?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:greenchainsaw:
Splitting some rotten wood today and came across these worms. They look like the grubs that Mark and Ollie ate on the Travel Channel while in the New Guinea tropics. If I didn't just have lunch, I might have tried em. Took the shot on a big dollar bill to show the big scale of these guys. As Shelby on the Ax Men would say, "almost got enough for a new gun and a pocket knife."
I am far from the tropics but I found some similar large white grubs never seen them before.I was splitting the logs extra small looking for the bullets we left behind both my friend and I were shooting 44/40s at the rounds and we wanted to see how are cast bullets fared lol they went 12+'' Then I found the grubs first thought being a redneck was fish bait?.
They are big grubs and it is the first I have found anything but spiders in Pine.
Who dosen't love a Wichester 73?

Last edited:
We have them here also, the beetle looks like this

KoreanInsect-Red-lined_Long-horned_Beetles_J01-mating_pair.jpg

They will infest your wood so i'm killing them if i find them.

As stated here before they are real carpenters and chew up a lot of wood quite fast.

Found them the first time in a walnut tree and when the beetles came out i catched them sitting in the sun on my woodpile and smashed them. They all came out in about 2 weeks time.

Funny note, my fox terrier was watching me and he likes them so now he is rooming my woodpile for them and catches them for me. good doggy.

:cheers:

Last edited:
We have them here also, the beetle looks like this

KoreanInsect-Red-lined_Long-horned_Beetles_J01-mating_pair.jpg

They will infest your wood so i'm killing them if i find them.

As stated here before they are real carpenters and chew up a lot of wood quite fast.

Found them the first time in a walnut tree and when the beetles came out i catched them sitting in the sun on my woodpile and smashed them. They all came out in about 2 weeks time.

Funny note, my fox terrier was watching me and he likes them so now he is rooming my woodpile for them and catches them for me. good doggy.

:cheers:

Looks like they are working on next years supply of larvae!

"Scarab" Beetles are Dung Beetles, also called Tumblebugs. They lay their eggs in balls of dung. The wood boring beetles are "Long Horned Beetles". Yessir,, they can and will bite. But they are very slow, so they are easy to handle.

Not unlike some others....

Latest posts

Back