Am I stupid for doing this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI Gary....

Hmmm... then why are all my old Homelites not rustin' from the inside out? I don't even think you can classify what they have as mufflers. :) Just open holes in the port with a screen in front.

Gary

I guess I should have wrote it better....Alot of the older saws that dont have screens ,,,dirt daubers build a nest in them and make a heck of a mess.I seen that a few times..I,m sorry,, guess I should have explaned it better...A saw with a screen,,I would never worry....

4 cycles, old wisconsins and briggs especially, prone to sticking valves and also cylinders rusting when they sat outside for a year between seasonal use. himidity and moisture would rust the cylinders. leaving at tdc would have valves closed (so the cam could push them open through any sticking) and prevent humidity from getting into cylinder and condensing.
maybe that is where the idea came from. but no one I know ever spent the effort to find tdc.

2 cycles, with the oil film everywhere, not rust?

if it works, or if you sleep better, it is worth it.

k

I guess I should have wrote it better....Alot of the older saws that dont have screens ,,,dirt daubers build a nest in them and make a heck of a mess.I seen that a few times..I,m sorry,, guess I should have explaned it better...A saw with a screen,,I would never worry....

I had a feeling that's what you meant... but... jus' checkin'... :)

Gary

I don't use screens, otherwiswe I wouldn't bother. I am not worried about any corrosion, just insects and dirt getting in there. Probably a mouse could crawl in there, I once saw one go thru a 3/4" hole on a brush hog deck, and it went thru it like water.

I don't think it's stupid at all. A friend of mine who used to race 2 stroke RC cars used to do the exact opposite. Would leave piston at bdc. He said it was to prevent seizing. Evidently these engines use no rings and are tight!!!
That's about the score - Aluminium piston, brass cylinder liner with chromium (or Nikasil) plating, making up to 3 bhp at 30,000 RPM. They're truly impressive for their size.

Mice can go through alot of things.

According to a pest control friend of mine.
They can go through an opening the diameter of a dime. ( 11/16th's)
Their little skeleton flexes.
-br

Mice and rats... their skull is the biggest bone in their body... so whatever it fits through the rest will follow... if it won't fit... they will chew relentlelly until it does.

Gary

Latest posts

Back