Am I the only person who thinks this could have been avoided?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. I know a lot of folks are getting emotional on that website, but there's no good reason a 6-year-old should be anywhere near a chipper. They're dangerous enough for trained adults.

In many areas the father probably would have been hauled off to jail for child endangerment. There is no reason for any child to be in the vicinity of a chipper even if with a parent. For those that say they can watch their child while cutting or working, let this be an example as to what can happen.

We shut our chipper down any time a member of the public or even a customer approaches, no matter who they are. I don't even want them watching from 20 feet away unless they are inducted, understand how the machine works and are wearing steel cap boots, hard hat, safety visor, glasses and ear protection. They can watch from inside their house or far enough up the road that they cant hear me yelling at them.

Feeding a chipper isn't as straight forward as it seems either. Different models/feed chute designs all have their own quirks. There are danger points all round the machine and right/wrong places to stand/feed. Beyond that, there's learning how any given shape of material is going to react as the rollers take it up, and during feeding in. Some roller designs will kick wood up or sideways strong enough to break ribs. Branches can whip you in the face. Curved pieces swing around. Some chippers spit out big chunks when you lift the rollers to feed larger material. With some experience you can guess how it's going to unfold, but that experience often comes after a few injuries.

We had a guy near me lose both his legs in a chipper last year. I didn't know him, but I know his boss.

Man's legs severed in wood chipper accident - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

As I write this my girls, 3 and 5 y/o are sound asleep in theirs beds. I shutter to think how the father of that young man must be feeling today. God Bless that family.

I could not imagine having my kids anywhere near moving equipment much less a chipper. Anyone that has used a chipper has had a limb rub up against you and snag you or your clothing. A grown up is able to push it aside. A six year old that weighs what 60-80 pounds has very little chance of fighting the limb away or even able to hit to stop-feed bar.

The Facebook entries said that kids have worked around their parents forever..... this may very well be true, but a 6 y/o has no business coming to work with dad in the tree care industry.

Any accident could've been avoided... that's why they're called accidents.
Sometimes unintended **** happens, no matter how careful you are... that's why they're called accidents.

Passing judgement on someone because of an accident, when I wasn't there and can't possibly know all the circumstances, isn't something I'm willing to do.

Is it horrible and tragic? Yup, it is... and that's as far as I'm willing to go with my comments.

Good? Are you kidding me?
What the hell is wrong with you man?

Do you have any idea what kind of pain that man is feeling?
No parent should have to suffer the pain of loosing a child... and no parent should have to suffer the amplified pain from loosing a child in such a horrible way right before their eyes.

Good? ... Are you kidding me? ...
Good Lord man, go back to the rock you live under.

All im saying is common sense goes a looooooong ways in this world and i don't know why its called common sense because it really isn't all that common.

Good? Are you kidding me?
What the hell is wrong with you man?

Do you have any idea what kind of pain that man is feeling?
No parent should have to suffer the pain of loosing a child... and no parent should have to suffer the amplified pain from loosing a child in such a horrible way right before their eyes.

Good? ... Are you kidding me? ...
Good Lord man, go back to the rock you live under.

Nope. I meant what I said and I'm not going to back down or soft pedal it. That kid's father was an idiot, pure and simple. Are we now supposed to be kind and supportive, pat him on the head and tell him that, because he's lost his son, all is forgiven? I don't think so.

When you put a child in harm's way and something tragic happens you should damn well pay a price for it. The father's decision to let a little kid work around a chipper will have an effect on the rest of the family forever. The family is paying the price for the father's stupidity. I feel no sympathy for the father . He'll grieve forever. And he should.

And, for whatever it's worth, I've lost two children...both when they were very young. If my neglect, stupidity, or lapse of good judgement had been responsible for their loss I don't think I could have survived it.

Whitespider you aren't really one to comment on this topic i've read your thread about " when it all goes wrong" about almost dropping a tree on your son. So obviously you're gonna be defensive but i guess birds with the same colored feathers fly together.

this is a horrible accident and should be a warning for us all to consider the consequences of what we do. Whether or not you pass judgment on the father, it is a tragic situation for all involved. Heed the warning and redouble your vigilance and efforts to work safely.

Yes it could have been avoided - how many accidents have you seen or been involved in that could have been avoided? Virtually all of them I would guess.

This is absolutely terrible. As a father of three I know how quickly a kid can end up where he doesn't belong - it is the reality of having small children.

I'll bet that this poor guy is paying a higher price than any jail term would exact. From what I read it sounds as though he is a truly devoted father that really cares about his kids, this was an oversight that cost his child his life. I have a hard time labeling it criminal.

Life is 100% fatal - let's try to not make it worse than it needs to be by bringing useless pain to a family that is already suffering.

One argument would be that punishing him would be a deterrent to other "negligent" parents. No, it won't. The parents that don't care will not care that there is a penalty for negligence. The parents that DO care are already trying hard to take care of their kids - but accidents still happen.

That little boy should not have been anywhere near a chipper. Period.

The Dad is suffering now and grief stricken for his loss? Good.

i have to agree 100% with you.

too many dads think their sons are extra hands at any age....and many are guilty of this.

allowing a 6 year old to even go near a wood chipper, let alone feed one, is just plain ignorant.

and yea, i know the father is grieving and feeling bad, but he should have thought of the child's safety above doing the job or thinking his son was "man enough" to help.

it's the price one pays for being just plain stupid.

i feel sorry for the family but not for that dad.

Nope. I meant what I said and I'm not going to back down or soft pedal it. That kid's father was an idiot, pure and simple. Are we now supposed to be kind and supportive, pat him on the head and tell him that, because he's lost his son, all is forgiven? I don't think so.

When you put a child in harm's way and something tragic happens you should damn well pay a price for it. The father's decision to let a little kid work around a chipper will have an effect on the rest of the family forever. The family is paying the price for the father's stupidity. I feel no sympathy for the father . He'll grieve forever. And he should.

And, for whatever it's worth, I've lost two children...both when they were very young. If my neglect, stupidity, or lapse of good judgement had been responsible for their loss I don't think I could have survived it.

come on man, have a little compassion. Fathers bring their sons to work for several reasons, one because they enjoy their company, and second to teach them how to work. Although I grew up without a dad, I spent every waking minute in the summer "on the job" with one of half a dozen uncles, and learned how to work because of it.

Sure, there were close callls. I shot a hole in my ear with a framing nail gun.Two more inches to the left, and I wouldnt be here typing this. I fell off a roof, not once, but three times. Got knocked out of the cab of a D-9 cat while pushing brush, and lost a tooth because of it. Got 16 stitches in my left leg when my first chainsaw got away from me, and chaps werent much good back then. But what did I learn?I learned how to work, and to stick to the job until it was done.

Now kids park their rear on the couch and text their friends while playing on their #### after school. They haunt Facebook and learn every trick in the book on how to avoid detection from their parents while they plot their next kegger party. I cant remember the last time a ten year old boy walked up to me and showed me with pride the gash on his leg, the burnt finger from burning brush, or pointed out that I forgot to screw in the oil reservoir cap before righting up the saw and treating myself to an oiled leg for the rest of the day.

Work has its hazards, and time has proven over and over again that just about anyone short of Batman can be sucked into a wood chipper and end your life on the spot. Sure, its very sad that a six year old had his life ended so tragically, but I am willing to bet that Dad had him on the job in an effort to teach his son that there is more to life than a cell phone and an ####.

All a man can do is do his best to teach the younger generation the hazards of the job, keep an eye on em as best as you can, and trust in the fact that when the good Lord has decided you have spent enough time on this earth, he is going to come and collect. I truly feel sorry for this generation that will never understand the joy of sitting back at the end of the day, look at your days efforts, and enjoy a smile knowing that your sore back, tired arms, and sweat soaked shirt are a testament to how determined you were to get the job done.

Gologit, you sure as heck dont strike me as a lazy guy that would shirk away from work, surely someone in your life taught you how to work, right?

Whitespider you aren't really one to comment on this topic i've read your thread about " when it all goes wrong" about almost dropping a tree on your son. So obviously you're gonna be defensive but i guess birds with the same colored feathers fly together.

Really? Because I’ve “been there, done that”… because I’ve actually had a couple close calls with my children… I shouldn’t comment? What? Is that because I’m not qualified? Climb down off your high horse man.

Parents (well most parents) raise their children in the way they believe is best for the children… teaching lessons they believe can, and will, be used in the future… lessons they believe will make the resulting adult a better person. Not all parents agree what those lessons are… and that’s just as it should be. Right here on this board I’ve seen pictures of small children running chainsaws… children I believe are way too young and small for that lesson. But I don’t judge; ultimately that decision belongs to the parent and not me. My children handle and shoot large bore handguns at an early age, well before starting school, and they get their own hunting shotgun well before the age of 10… many parents would not agree with that, but it ain’t their decision… it’s mine, and mine alone.

My son learned more from that close call than I could have ever taught him with words… a lesson both he and I will never forget. If you choose to judge the decisions of another parent… SHAME ON YOU, you have no right! My son still goes to the woodlot with me, even when I’m falling trees… but both of us haven’t forgot what happened, and never will. And if any of you feel the need to judge, stick it in your “you-know-what”!

I worked with my dad, but there were things he didn't want me to do because I could get hurt and he "didn't want me messed up at an early age." Yeah, you can "teach your kid to work" but it doesn't have to be doing dangerous stuff.

I could run the tractor pulling a baler, disc, or trailer, but no harrowing. My dad got hit on the head with the harrow when it bounced up, so that was out for me.

I wonder how the guys are that were bucking 80 pound bales of hay all day at a young age? My dad didn't thing that was right. He thought they were too young--12 year olds, and might have messed up backs when they were older.

Whatever...

Latest posts

Back