Am I weird???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to remember a thread on here stating the opposite,
How stihl chain cut the best out of the box and how the factory grind was somehow far more superior to a file job or regrind and no-one could duplicate the performance of the factory grind...........

So has stihl changed something? are there loops not as good?

Geez i hope not.

I haven't seen a shift in quality, could be old stock, my dealer does have a lot of that. I normally don't find a need to do any filing to a new Stihl chain.

Am I the only one that touches up new chain before I use it?

Lately, I've noticed that chain from the factory has gotten sloppy. Most especially Oregon brand, but I've noticed it with Stihl as well. Mostly the rakers are off +/- .010, and the gullets look horrible. Wonder why the drop in quality?

Or am I weird?
Are you weird for wanting your tools in the best condition you can have them in when using them?

I say of course not.

Everyone should strive to keep their tools in XLNT shape, and no matter if a chain is new or not, if it is not sharp it presents more danger. Ok, a new change may not present too much danger, but there is nothing wrong with wanting your tools to be in tip-top shape.

I suspect the majority just use a new chain until they feel it's not sharp anymore and then buy another new one, never to touch them with a file.

Rep coming your way for at least grabbing the file. Good for you!
EDIT: oh well, it tells me to spread it around more before giving you more...:(

I have also sharpened new chains before I use them, and I agree, the Oregon chains seem to need it more than the Stihls, but both can use a touch-up as they come from the factory. My $0.02.

Nope, usually take the rakers down just a little and usually hit it a lick or two, especially on the WP. If I grind a chain I usually hit it with a file afterwards with a stroke or two, I like a sharp chain.

I usually touch up all oregon round ground before using it. The square oregon is a little better in quality I think. They seem more consistent and the rakers are closer to being where I want them. The round LGX and JGX seem to have rakers at about .020 and some chains will throw dust. I've put some loops I just spun on the silvey swing arm to make them sharper.

I would like see somebody touch up a couple of new chains, throw them together with some straight out of the box and pick which is which by using them.

It all depends how well you run a file. There are quite a few members on here that would make it pretty easy to pick out the new out of box. They would be quite a bit slower.

I usually sharpen first. If I don't it isn't long before I do.

If you doubt this, you need to go to a GTG. Guys that throw a new chain on always get their butts whooped in the races!:hmm3grin2orange:

It all depends how well you run a file. There are quite a few members on here that would make it pretty easy to pick out the new out of box. They would be quite a bit slower.

I usually sharpen first. If I don't it isn't long before I do.

If you doubt this, you need to go to a GTG. Guys that throw a new chain on always get their butts whooped in the races!:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm sure it matters if you are in some kind of competition. But, if you are just working I doubt many would notice or find it worth the trouble.

Most of you south of the border Kaintuckians are a little weird, but pretty good old boys if you can keep them screwing up new chains.:cheers:

I just got done putting 2 new chains and 2 that have been used one tank on the grinder. I like them much better after than out of the box.

I'm sure it matters if you are in some kind of competition. But, if you are just working I doubt many would notice or find it worth the trouble.

My hand filed chain is noticeably sharper than new chain. I'm not saying I'm the best guy at filing either, but its not too hard to get a chain to cut better than new. I use it right out of the box till it needs sharpened, then after the first filing it always cuts better than when new.

I use 'em right out of the box, I think new chains rakers are too high for my liking.

They get knocked down a bit at the first shapening for sure.

Course having a 6" round climbing up my shin is the norm for me. :cheers:

I don't bother sharpening chains before putting them on the saw, 'cause they usually get dull real fast when I hit a bunch of dang nails buring in the wood anyway. :cry:

In everyday cutting, sharp chains make work easy.

If you have to dog in and push the bar through the log-IT"S DULL!!

Sharp chains will self feed through the log!

Hey I just hit 2000!

Am I the only one that touches up new chain before I use it?

Lately, I've noticed that chain from the factory has gotten sloppy. Most especially Oregon brand, but I've noticed it with Stihl as well. Mostly the rakers are off +/- .010, and the gullets look horrible. Wonder why the drop in quality?

Or am I weird?
I don't think you're weird at all for payin attention to the thing that affects cuttin more than anything else.
Have you ever tried touchin up the working corner on round chisel with a goofy?
I cut most of my firewood from live standing trees or blow overs and just use semi on the dirty,hollow or flush cuts,if its dead or has been dragged or pushed semi makes more sense too.

I'd like to see close up pics of new vs an "improved" out of the box sharpened chain. Other than the rakers, what makes them "better"?

Sharper is as sharper does...

gotta warn you as a square junky,its hard to go back once you get a taste.

That's what I hear. But most of the log's I cut are nasty, skidded and full of rocks and mud, so square is out of the question for full time use. I have a hard enough time keeping chisel chain goin, much less square ground. :laugh:

I should really use semi chisel on them, but I guess im just hardcore....:laugh:

Latest posts

Back