Amazing log house/guy almosts loses his arm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLMCRZY

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This isnt really about chainsaws but heres what i did today.

I personally didnt build the spiral staircase but i built all the railings on the landings. We installed them today on this log house. Its over a 7 million dollar project, includes custom pool with grato(spelling?) 14ft deep in sections, Full gym in the basement with 4 52" flatscreens, huge walk in showers for all 5 bedrooms. This is just some of the "features". We installed 3 spiral staircases 2 of them were 22ft and the other one was just 17ft. Two of them were brought out to the jobsite at 15ft, we set them then built the other 7ft on the job site. The 3rd one was totally constructed on the job in a very tight section. Mind you these spiral staircases take some work and time!

Heres a little something that happened on the job today. While were we installing the final railings the owner had to cut out for his duct work for the wood burning stove. Well he climbed the ladder with his nice Ms441 mag and began cutting it, long story short i saw the guy almost lose his arm. He was jamming the end of the bar into the wood so he could go thru he didnt use the "cutting edge" just the tip. Kicked back 5 times almost taking his arm off each time. He finally shut her down and used a pry bar to pry out the wood. O ya and in the process he hit the big all thread that holds the logs together, killed his chain:laugh:

Can anyone tell me what kind of wood this is? Ill rep you if you get the answer right!

p_00101.jpg

p_00098.jpg

p_00097.jpg

The color is redwood, but it could be a stain.

441 is too big for climbing on a ladder, IMHO. I use a 33cc saw if I am forced to work on a ladder, and even then, it's scary. You can't control the saw as well when you are holding it at chest level or higher.

nice house, not so smart owner. i started a thread documenting my boss' husband severe injuries that resulted from running a saw on a ladder. then a couple of weeks later, one of my wife's customers suffered nearly the same injuries.

Well at 7 mill I guess he can afford to pay someone to come and do the yearly upkeep on the wood...if not in a couple of years it's gonna look like crap.

Well at 7 mill I guess he can afford to pay someone to come and do the yearly upkeep on the wood...if not in a couple of years it's gonna look like crap.
O reallly so the 7 others next it just got lucky cause they been there 10+......Btw its a resort

Red cedar.

Whatever it is, it's really nice. I'd like to have a house liket that:D

Close, i actually guessed and said red wood but i was wrong. Its Western Red Cedar, i had no idea cedar trees could get that big!

Heres some pictures of the pool we are building a landing coming off the first floor so they can jump off into the pool. You can see my boss measuring in the first picture. Theres also a picture of the 3rd staircase we built as well, again i give the other guys all the credit for the staircases i had no hand in them, just the railings.... Enjoy!

p_00102.jpg

p_00103.jpg

p_00104.jpg

p_00105.jpg

p_00106.jpg

So, what do I win? :laugh:

I thought it may have been Red Cedar. I have seen a few built from it before and it is beautiful. Even more beautiful in person.

So, what do I win? :laugh:

I thought it may have been Red Cedar. I have seen a few built from it before and it is beautiful. Even more beautiful in person.

Rep! But i already gave you some so it wont let me haha.......heres your cookie!

Ya its really amazing especially inside. They said the house was built in British Columbia it sat for 5 years so the wood could settle it settled like 2" i believe. So after that they moved it down here, had some crazy canook set it up ( he would straddle the logs while the crane lifted it 60ft in the air) and now its suppose to settle another 2 1/2" all the door frames and windows are free floating so they move with the house.

Im not really into baseball but the guys were saying he just signed with the twins or something. Hes a nice guy...

I also used to be sponsored by Kent powersports when i raced mx, which is Jeff Kents that plays for the dodgers. Another nice guy, infact i raced with him on a few occasions. He said the dodgers were pretty unhappy since he could of hurt himself:biggrinbounce2:

Back